As the Gospels open, something is stirring. There is something new taking place.
It has been four hundred years since the last Old Testament prophet spoke a message from God. But now, the Holy Spirit is breaking out. God is revealing what He is up to through unexpected vessels. Ordinary people are prophesying!
People just like you.
Luke highlights this prophetic outbreak in his account of the events leading up to, and immediately following, Jesus’ birth:
- Elizabeth, filled with the Holy Spirit as Mary’s greeting reaches her ears, responds with a prophetic proclamation. (Luke 1:41-45)
- Her unborn baby—John the Baptist—leaps with joyful recognition in his mother’s womb. (Luke 1:44)
- The young Mary makes a powerful prophetic declaration in reply. (Luke 1:46-55)
- After John’s birth, his father Zechariah is filled with the Holy Spirit and prophesies. (Luke 2:67-69)
- When Jesus is presented at the temple Simeon, an elderly man whose only status is that he is righteous, devout and led by the Spirit, prophesies over the child Jesus and his parents. (Luke 2:25-35) 
- An elderly woman, a prophet and intercessor called Anna, becomes an outspoken prophetic witness of Jesus after she encounters the child in the temple. (Luke 2:36-38)
It is a powerful emergence of a new, prophetic era. Young and old, men and women, are suddenly prophesying, declaring the Father’s intentions, and filled with the Holy Spirit.
‘In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams. Even on my servants, both men and women, I will pour out my Spirit in those days, and they will prophesy.’ Acts 2:17-18
This is the era in which you live.
You can be led by the Holy Spirit—filled with Him, experiencing His joy.
You can be like one of these people who participated in the the events surrounding the birth of Jesus. You can be a prophetic witness of Who Jesus is, and of your Father’s intentions.
As you take moments in your busy schedule leading up to Christmas and the close of this year, meditate on this. Consider it and wonder. Grasp this Heavenly truth.
- The advent of Jesus changed everything.
Now is the time to embrace the supernatural, prophetic life God has made available to you through His Holy Spirit.
‘Father thank You for this annual reminder of Your greatest gift to me, the gift of Your Son Jesus. In the middle of the busyness, help me to find stillness and to walk and talk with you. May I hear Your quietest whispers; may I meditate on Your Word. Help me to be aware of others around me, of Your love for them and what You want to say or do in any given instant.
I choose to stir up Your prophetic gift in my life. Give me boldness in the moment of opportunity to share whatever is on Your heart. This Christmas season, fill me afresh with Your Spirit and Your joy. May I, like Mary, Zechariah, Elizabeth, Simeon and Anna, be a witness of Jesus, of all You have done, and all You intend to do.
In Jesus’ Name, amen.’
 I love this statement from Faussets Bible Dictionary: “Christ’s advent brings to view some of His hidden ones, as Simeon and Anna, who, unknown to the world, were known to Him as yearning for Him.” http://www.bible-history.com/faussets/S/Simeon/
© 2016 Helen Calder, Enliven Ministries Enliven Blog – Prophetic Teaching
In the David McCracken Ministries Family