How to Overcome Spiritual Dryness (My Story)

Treasure in clay JarsWhen I began writing Enliven Blog ten years ago, I was spiritually dry and recovering from burnout. [1]

Yet now, on this tenth anniversary, I look back in amazement at what can only be a move of the Holy Spirit.

So, if you can relate to feeling weary—if you sometimes wonder how you can complete the work God has called you to—be encouraged.

Your Father wants you to know that He is unfailing. There is never any moment you cannot draw life from Him!

And if you have experienced spiritual dryness, you can be refilled.

How to Overcome Spiritual Dryness

1. Realize Your Weakness is Not an Obstacle to God

Contemplating the milestone of a decade this week has been both wonderful and humbling,

• It is a miracle of God’s grace, that has been made possible with the generous help of others [2]

But to be honest, the thought of doing it again—even one more week—was daunting!

Until I paused in prayer, and suddenly found myself in a vision.

I was by a bubbling brook, surrounded by greenery.
There was an indescribable peace in that place. The brook’s water was flowing endlessly through a large rock.
And then I noticed something. The water was pouring forth from the mouth of a clay jar.
And I suddenly knew that clay jar was cracked and broken. But it was completely encompassed by the rock.
Within the rock, that jar was tilted in such as way that the water poured forth endlessly. Only it’s mouth was visible. [3]

Do you feel weak, or even cracked and broken in some way? Your weakness is not an obstacle to Him.

“But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us.” (2 Cor 4:7, NIV)

Hear your Father say, “My grace towards you is such, that My glory will shine through you and My power be seen upon you!” (2 Cor 12:9)

2. Be Dependent Upon Jesus

The clay jar I saw in the vision had capacity to pour, because it was held and encased in the rock.

• You can have complete security in Jesus, when He is your Rock, your source of life

“And all drank the same spiritual drink. For they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them, and that Rock was Christ.” (1 Cor 10:4, NKJV)

A cure for spiritual dryness is to be continually dependent upon Him. This is a position you can hold by faith.

Jesus explained it this way:
“I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.” (John 15:5 NKJV)

Your longevity in ministry doesn’t rest on your ability or diligence, as important as these things are. It rests on your dependence upon Christ.

Jesus uses the image of the vine and the branches to illustrate what He means by “abiding in Him”.

• The branches are a part of the vine—an extension of it
  • They are not merely joined, they are one

You can have the revelation of being one with Christ. And then live, rested, in that position of union with Him.

3. Live and Work Out of the Father’s Delight

At the start of 2009, around eight months before I started Enliven Blog, I released most of my ministry roles.

• Everything I “thought” God had lined up for me, in order to fulfill His call on my life, had fallen over

I was now well into my forties. I had worked so hard, but seemed to have lost it all, and had nothing left to give. Yet the Lord was at work. He allowed my spiritual dryness, for it led to my healing.

In my crisis of faith, I asked over and over:
“Are You the God I am afraid that You are—a task-master whose approval I can never win? Or the Father I have longed for—a God of grace and joy?”

I had known theoretically that God was my Father. But I didn’t know Him as my loving Father.

After a life-changing encounter with God as my Abba Father, I finally knew I didn’t need to work for His approval. That I was already “good enough!”

That I am, always have been, and always will be, His beloved child.
And on this new foundation, I began to write.

Your Father is delighted in you—not because of anything you can do for Him. He loves you, He loves you, He loves you.

4. Be Continuously Filled with the Spirit

As 2010 began, my husband Malcolm and I both had a glorious infilling with the Holy Spirit. So much so, that Malcolm had to carry me out of a meeting!

• Finally, I had moved from spiritual dryness into overflow

But it started more than 6 months earlier, as I learned to have regular encounters with God that replenished me, little by little.

We need to know where our life flow comes from.

• When we are releasing life to others out of our intimate relationship with God, we can continue to serve

Jesus said, “Whoever believes in me, as Scripture has said, rivers of living water will flow from within them.”
By this he meant the Spirit…”
(John 7:38,39a NIV)

The source of this river is His Spirit, flowing from within us. [4]

You are the “temple of the Holy Spirit” (1 Cor 6:19) and God’s design for you is to never run dry.

Today, I pray His life is released powerfully from within you. May you be filled, and overflow with His immeasurable joy.

Your Work Matters to God

God created us to be in close relationship with Him. This doesn’t mean that work is not important to God!

Yes, we need to take special time out for rest and prayer, to prevent spiritual dryness.

But there is no place where relationship ends, and work begins.

• We do not work for God, we work with God

And our Father doesn’t grade different types of work. Remember in the beginning, He put Adam to work tending the garden.

All work can be done to the glory of God (Col 3:17).

Today, I pray that you will know what it means to be filled to overflowing.
And that any spiritual dryness will be swept away by an encounter with the grace of God.

He is waiting for you with open arms.

[1] I’ve linked to some of my early posts telling my story in the text above.

[2] See my “thanks” page

[3] I mostly receive visions via an image (still, moving, or a series of images) that comes to mind.
I believe all prophetic insights should be weighed up.

[4] The river Ezekiel saw in his vision (Ezek 47) flowed from the Presence of God—from the temple. The prophet Joel wrote of a fountain that flowed from God’s house (Joel 3:18). See also Eph 5:18.

Related Posts

7 Signs of Spiritual Dryness

Soaking: How to Stay Filled With the Holy Spirit in Prayer

How to Discover Your Spiritual Pathway

Happy 10th Birthday Enliven Blog

Malcolm and Helen Calder10 years ago, I wrote my first post on Enliven Blog.
Now 485 posts later, I reflect on the miracle that is Enliven Blog along with the legacy and generosity of others who have been a part of the journey. I am in awe at the grace of God.
What began out of the book and story of my failure and restoration in prophetic ministry has now become an online table for thousands everyday. It has birthed a ministry, Enliven Ministries, and online prophetic and prayer schools.

Today, I’d like to say a huge thank you to all my friends and readers! No matter what you have been through, never give up. God has given you a voice and message that can touch the world.

Deeper: A Journey of Spiritual Renewal

At the heart of your Christian life and prophetic ministry is your intimate relationship with God and a vital connection to His Word.

In this eBook I share my personal journey from burnout and spiritual exhaustion to a lifestyle of encountering God—the pathway that launched me into prophetic ministry.
Today I have added a new chapter, with stories of my recent encounters with God.

I encourage you to take time with God, and simply ask the question, ‘Lord, how do you want to reveal yourself to me?’

‘Deeper: 6 Steps to Greater Intimacy with God and His Word’ contains many practical tips to help you discover the relationship with God and the Bible that you are uniquely designed for. Together with the accompanying workbook, ‘Deeper’ takes you on a journey of personal renewal.

For more information, or to purchase ‘Deeper’, visit our online store here.

You can also view all online courses, including the Prophetic School, here.

Have you had an experience with spiritual dryness, or testimony, you would like to share about? Leave a comment using the comments box below. Or, follow and join the conversation on our Facebook page, Twitter, or the Enliven Blog Instagram account to share it with us.

© 2019 Helen Calder, Enliven Blog

Enliven Ministries: In the David McCracken Ministries family

79 thoughts on “How to Overcome Spiritual Dryness (My Story)

1. Edwin

Happy 10th anniversary and I pray that you receive strength, power, and sufficient grace to finish the assignment that the Lord has given you.
    God bless u, I appreciate your work.

1. Donna Hawkins

I have been trying to reach someone about a book I ordered 4mo. ago. It was 5.45 called discernment. I never got it, hoping you can help with this. Thank you

Hi Donna,
        I’ve just renewed the download links on the store – you should receive an email to your gmail account, check the spam filter if you don’t see it, and let me know how you go.

2. Conny

Congratulations, how good that you started this website. You have helped me very often.
    At the moment I need this topic very much, because I feel rather worn out and I am careful not to fall into a
    real burnout. There is no one else who gives so many encouraging insights on a website as you do. Thank you and thank you for your prayers for me if you have a minute please pray again.
    Psalm 62
    Lots of Love Conny

Hi Conny, thank you, and yes I’m praying for you right now
      Beautiful:
      My soul, wait silently for God alone,
      For my expectation is from Him.
      6 He only is my rock and my salvation;
      He is my defense;
      I shall not be moved.
      7 In God is my salvation and my glory;
      The rock of my strength,
      And my refuge, is in God.
      8 Trust in Him at all times, you people;
      Pour out your heart before Him;
      God is a refuge for us. Selah (Ps 62:5-8, NKJV)

3. Sam

Happy 10th, you amaze, inspire and speak truth to me so often. So glad I stumbled across your blog years ago. I feel I have a friend in the faith over seas and over web waves, haha. God bless you for your steadfastness, humility and trust in the rock!

1. Moses Mhangwana

Happy 10th anniversary Helen,thank you for bringing this message about spiritual dryness it is real in life for I was living in a dryness in my spirit I got so much revived with this message , may the good Lord continue revelling more to your life which is the will of the father so we may read more. Be blessed writing from South Africa

4. Nonhlanhla

Happy 10th annivesary Helen. What you’ve just shared with us, spiritual dryness is an untold story that only out Father knows. I think I am glad it sometimes happen because with me it’s so real and I think I am in the middle of it. I have my fellowship time, I read the Word but I seem to be missing something.

Hi Nonhlanhla, I’m praying for you right now for a fresh awareness of His grace and love for you

5. Gifty

Happy 10th anniversary to you great Woman of God and your family. Your ministry has impacted me and my brethren tremendously. I remember searching for a book on Discernment and I came across your book. I gained valuable insight and I felt a nudge to follow you. That’s how I came across Enliven Blog. I know it is the Lord’s doing that I receive knowledge and wisdom through your ministry. May He continue to increase you in grace, favor, anointing and knowledge as you pour out rivers of living water into our lives. May abundance, prosperity and goodness follow you. God richly bless you.

Thank you so much, Gifty. And may He continue to enlarge you, and all who surround you, in the knowledge of Him!

6. Carl

Sister Helen,your email came right on time,and it meant confirmation from God through you.I have been weak,but day by day I am getting stronger,and soon i hope to continue my prophetic ministry.God is preparing me for it,and as I wait for the day he opens the door to get started I will be praying for God to give me strength to help me overcome my weaknesses until I am fit for the masters use.God bless you.

Hi Carl, I’m praying with you right now for strengthening – glory to glory as His Word says

7. Lisa

I REALLY NEEDED to hear this WORD tonight!!! Thank you so much for this reminder!!! Sometimes when you grow so weary you don’t even realized that you’re trying to do it in YOUR OWN strength nor that you’re burnout from trying to do it in YOUR OWN strength! BUT GOD is ALWAYS faithful and right on time!!! God Bless you Mrs. Helen!!!

8. JOHNBOSCO OKOLI

Gud morning Ma, How are you doing Ma, Ma you really change my life oooooo i don’t no how to thank.. i really have a call my God because always visit me in a dream and i will always see my self preaching in the dream… as at 10pm today been 5/8/2019 i was praying for God to give me power to overcome temptation and women after praying i on my phone immediately email came in and it was your mail and opened it… Lord and be hold what i saw was to overcome dryness chaii Chaii Ma you are a God sent to me… please Ma keep on praying for me… God will always bless you in Jesus name

9. Ruby G.

Happy 10th Anniversary. Thank you for sharing this message. I believe I needed to hear those words of encouragement to continue relying on God and drawing from his strength to do what he has called me to do.

10. OKWUDIBA NNAMDI

I thank God for you! I am helped and encouraged by your message. I am now in my forties but seemed surrounded by so many issues.
    I am lifted by this mail. Thank you!

11. Iyabo Olatidoye

Congrats Hellen on the 10th year anniverssary of your blog post. The writings are quite insightful, encouraging and inspiring. The Lord will increase His anointing upon you in Jesus name.
    I read your 2012 post on 7 signs of spiritual dryness. Though comments on it is closed but I can still connect with some of the signs as I relate it with your post on ivercoming spiritual dryness. One way I have experienced spiritual dryness is in being overwhelmed by the issues I need to pray about- personal, family, ministry, society. Sometimes I get so overwhelmed to the extent I hardly pray or I have a sense of not having prayed enough.

Thanks for your writing on the four ways of overcoming spiritual dryness. The most important thing is to be soaked in the Holy Spirit. Then we will experience freshness.

My question- how do you know if you have prayed enough or prayed right?

Hello Iyabo, I’m praying with you right now. My answer to your question is that we will always have an element of weakness in our prayers, but His grace makes up the lack. One of my favourite Scriptures for prayer is this one:

Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. 27 Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God. (Romans 8:26-27)

12. Zodwa Gilman

My God what an owesome message at the right time when I had so much needed answers from God.Your blogs strengthen me in my prophetic calling I have not yet understand which I believe God wants to work with me mightly .

I’m so greatful that Holy Spirit led me to you.I can boldly say God is at work for me through you .
    Once I again Thank you, may God bless you abundantly; exceedingly and above all in Jesus Mighty Name.You are such a blessing in my life.

13. Joel Judicael

Dear Ellen,
    Thanks again for this post. I’m really bless each time that i receive your mail.
    May God continue to inspire you as he did since the beginning of this ministry.
    More grace!!!

14. Sunday Edobor

Thanks for the inspired word and continued to increase in grace. Congratulations on your ten years anniversary. Sunday Edobor.

15. Thomas Manu

Dear Prophetess,

Thank you for such a powerful word ministered to me. I must say that I have been blessed.

I also like the fact that I have to be ‘overflowing with the spirit’. That to me is a spiritual intoxication. That experience is also good because I could see from the eyes of the spirit. Hahahaha, glory to God.

Currently, I have a problem with my finances. I need to pay my ordination and graduation fees before 7th. August, 2019. This is my crisis. May the Lord help me in Jesus name. I need to pay 300 dollars before ordination can commence.

I need your prayer , Prophetess.

Many thanks,

Thomas Manu

Hi Thomas, I’m praying with you right now for your breakthrough in the payment of your fees

1. Adebayo

Congratulations on your 10th years ministry anniversary. Your message is timely because I am going through that experience now.
        I want you to specifically pray for me. I know I have a calling of God upon me but I need the Holy Spirit to help me. I need the overflowing of his presence in my life. I want God to speak to me so as to know exactly what he wants me to do. I will communicate you further through your email.As a true prophetess of God,I want you to help me out prayerfully.
        Thanks.
        Adebayo.

1. Timothy Kiamba

Happy 10th Anniversary Enliven!
      Thanks for your insightful mails! I am always looking forward to read and learn from you.
      May God keep His river freshly flowing in you Helen.

16. Sashi Sehgal

Hey Helen,
    Happy anniversary! So grateful for all you do by sharing what God is saying. Appreciate you guys so much for your ministry. May the Lord bring expansion and meet all of your needs in this next season.
    Thanks again,
    Sashi

Thanks Sashi and you and your family also, you regularly come to mind, you’ve been a blessing

O Lord, You are the portion of my inheritance and my cup;
      You maintain my lot.
      6 The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places;
      Yes, I have a good inheritance.

7 I will bless the Lord who has given me counsel;
      My heart also instructs me in the night seasons.
      8 I have set the Lord always before me;
      Because He is at my right hand I shall not be moved. (Psalm 16:5-8, NKJV)

17. Henrietta

Hi Helen what an inspiration in the work of the Lord. You are God send to encourage and empower people like me who is having spiritual dryness. I have been in the ministry since 2004 as a lay pastor but I feel I am not that fueled to can fullfill the assignment God has given me. I know that the Holy Spirit dwells in me from the day I got born again but I need the infilling to overflowing with evidence of speaking in tonques. I have had men of God laying hand upon me just like in Aats 19:6 when Paul laid hands upon saints but sofar nothing happened. Recently I asked one of my sisters in the Lord to pray with me as I felt I cant continue like this. Can you please also pray for me to have the river flowing within me

Hi Henrietta, yes and amen to that! Rejoice in Him, rejoice in the One you already have, and just let the river of His praises flow through you, in childlike simplicity may the fullness of His gift be released in and through you.

18. daniel

that was a great one maam ,… i just needed this at the moment .,., and as you share the words in an expository manna to us all ,,, i pray for you also that your ministry shall never run dry

19. jato, Jacob Moses

happy 10th anniversary, you have been off immense help to my spiritual life and to many may God continue to bless protect and increase you and your family. Amen

Thank you, I’m glad to hear the ministry has been empowering for you. God bless you too.

20. Louise Taylor

Dear Helen, I personally want to thank you for your encouraging words they have always been so timely in my life. I know you have your heavenly fathers heart in view, and he has yours. May you always continue to rest in his love for you, as this is were all the treasures of heaven reside. May god continue to bless your obedience to him! Much love, Louise .

Thanks Steve, and thanks for your encouragement and contribution over the years, what a huge input you’ve had! Heaven knows.

21. JOSEPH TAJEU KOISAMOU

HI Hellen & Enliven blog have a happy 10th anniversary.God bless so much for your insightful prophetic teachings that have truly lifted our faith and expectations in God. May God prosper,protect ,& increase your ministry in wisdom, revelation knowledge, his might & pour fresh anointing upon you the work he mandated you to pursue.God bless you big for the message overcoming dryness ,its surely a word of season to me.Thanks.

22. JOSEPH TAJEU KOISAMOU

Hi Gdd’s servant Hellen Happy 10th ANNIVERSARY with the family.God bless you great for your faith lifting messages on enliven Blog.

Thank you Joseph and amen! Thanks also for the words of blessing, may they be visited upon you also.

23. Tiffany Thompkins

Happy 10th Anniversary Enliven! This ministry has encouraged me, reassured me and prompted my growth in the prophetic and just my relationship with God in general. Sometimes I get overwhelmed with visions or words but then you release a post shortly after that moment for me and it confirms what I heard or saw. How amazing is our God! Thank you for your obedience in sharing this content with us all. It has truly changed my life! God bless you, may your ministry see many more years!

He is amazing, isn’t He? I love how He can speak and connect us like that. I pray you continue to be enlarged in Jesus’ grace and in your gift that will touch many people, Tiffany!

24. Leanne Bowie

G’day Helen,
    Many thanks for your faithfulness and encouragement. I have followed you ever since you spoke at Urban Life Church in Menai, NSW Australia. It was such a blessing that you, as a woman, spoke gently, quietly, beautifully and prayed such creative images shared with you from the Spirit. My writing journey continues. Thankyou.

25. Success Amieyeofori

I really loved number one. It helped me. I realized my pains and my weakness (spiritual weakness) are not obstacles to God.
    Happy Anniversary to you!!!
    I pray God adds more grace to you to enable you to reach out to the broken and spiritually dry. Amen
    God bless you!!!

26. Thomas Gondwe

Happy anniversary to you, may the living God enlarge your territories and give you more years in jesus name

27. Dorothy

First, Blessed Anniversary as you work with Father to enlarge the Kingdom and share His thoughts. Secondly, I am in tears as I have read your blog. I am broken and crushed. I am at a place of deep despair for my life and ministry are in a heap. I know my calling from Him, but it just seems to be going nowhere for Him. In all honesty, I feel abandoned, yet in my heart I know He will never leave me. Thank you for your honest heart in sharing. I draw strength from it to keep going. God bless you.

28. Homer Les

Love this post. God is so good to us. He takes us weak and flawed vessels draws us ever closer to Himself. We are designed to be incomplete without Him. He made us to be intimate with Himself. When we are broken and humbled we are starting the long process of becoming like Him. Many people do not understand that the basic nature of God is humility. We want to see Him as a glorious King, which He is, but most cannot relate to that picture. God, in that way, is too distant.

Jesus came as a suffering servant. He comes to us today to walk with us through our trials. As we walk together, in intimacy, He gives us the strength to become overcomers. This is the great God we serve. One who bows low to love us where we are at.

Blessings,
    Homer Les

29. Brenda

I totally agree with all you have said in this post, I too have experienced many of God’s supernatural experiences, including healings and miraculous experiences. I had a near death experience and was taken to the most beautiful place one could imagine , which I believe was the same place spoken of by Paul the apostle that he called ‘the third heaven’. I was 28 years old and was told ‘It is not time yet, you must go back.’ Although I had been married for ten years then I said ‘I do not want to go back. ‘ I was again told ‘You must go back.’ To cut a long story short , seven years later I came up out of the baptismal water in the Adelaide revival centre speaking in a language I had never learned. I was speaking mysteries to God (as it is called in the scriptures). That was the beginning of my calling from God to serve the Lord Jesus.
    God bless.