5 Seasons of Development in Your Prophetic Gift
Although I’ve portrayed these seasons sequentially, the reality is that you may go in and out of seasons more than once. For example, you may go through repeated periods of development and testing until you reach a maturing stage—and even then, you may go back through it again!
See if you can identify which season you are in, in relation to growing your prophetic gift:
1. Desiring (1 Cor 14:1)
You may have a growing interest and curiosity in the gift of prophecy. This can be an early indication of your giftedness.
Some signs you are in the desiring stage are:
- Curiosity about the prophetic gift
- An increased sense of hunger for God Himself
- Desire for the operation of the gift of prophecy in your life
- A felt need that you would like to see met by the use of the prophetic gift—e.g., praying for someone who needs guidance.
Don’t underestimate the importance of this stage. If you desire the gift of prophecy, it is likely to be an indication that you have a prophetic gift, especially if it is accompanied by early signs of the gift being operational in your life.
Even though this is a common season, it isn’t a necessary season—a prophetic gift can manifest at the time you are baptised in the Holy Spirit, or it can emerge suddenly without these early signs.
2. Emerging (Acts 2:4)
This is when your prophetic gift begins to manifest for the first time.
Some signs you are in the emerging stage are:
- You may have a season of heightened awareness of God’s presence
- You find you are praying prophetically
- You are receiving supernatural insights that could only come from God
- The exercise or your prophetic gift may be accompanied by unusual manifestations
- You may experience a ‘honeymoon period,’ during which you frequently use the gift
- On the other hand, there may be very few manifestations and your prophetic gift develops slowly over a period of time
There is not a ‘one-size-fits-all’ in the Kingdom of God. We are all unique and different and the development and manifestations of our spiritual gifts will be unique to us. (1 Cor 12:4-6)
It is important that you don’t – at this or any other stage – believe that just because you’ve seen miracles happen through prophecies you have given that you have ‘got it all together.’
3. Developing (1 Tim 4:14-15)
Some signs you are in the developing stage are:
- You are receiving mentoring or training in prophetic ministry
- You may be reading or studying about the prophetic gift
- You are learning more than you have previously
- You are having regular opportunities to practice using the prophetic gift and are learning from these experiences
During the developing stage you are motivated to learn at a faster rate than other seasons and many opportunities for learning about how to exercise and grow in your prophetic gift seem to come your way.
4. Testing (Acts 9:28-30)
Some signs you are in the testing stage are:
- You enter a time of hardship in relation to your prophetic gift
- You may feel shut down and wonder where your gift has gone in this season and what God is doing.
- You find yourself longing for the ‘honeymoon period’ when the gift was new
- You get it wrong sometimes, or experience doubts.
- You will find yourself going through character-testing circumstances
- You may feel as though you are being criticised, blocked or resisted
It is important to recognise that God is at work during this period. He is refining both your character and your gift. How you respond in this season is very important.
For more about the testing phases, see Prophetic People in Testing Times: The Reason for the Season
5. Maturing (1 Cor 14:20)
I use the word, ‘maturing’ rather than ‘maturity,’ because a gift, like character, should always be in the process of being developed.
Some signs you are in the maturing stage are:
- You have undergone seasons of trial and testing and have experienced refining and restoration in your prophetic gift.
- Your prophetic gift is sharpening, whilst your character is softening
- You are increasingly aware that your prophetic ministry is imperfect and subject to testing and judgement
- Your prophetic insights are increasingly effective
- You are growing in love and sensitivity towards people in the use of your gift
- You are growing in wisdom; understanding the best context and approach to using your prophetic gift
- You are being used to help develop the gift in others through leadership, mentoring and training.
Note that these seasons of development not only apply to the gift of prophecy. You will recognise a similar pathway of development in other spiritual gifts such as intercession, discernment, healing, and leadership.
Grow Your Prophetic and Prayer Gifts
If you are feeling stuck, or have undergone hardship in relation to your prophetic or prayer gift, this book will encourage you and provide you with keys to move forward in developing your gift.
In Grow Your Prophetic And Prayer Gifts, you will discover the six phases of development of prophetic and prayer gifts from desire and birth through to maturity.
Learn how to:
- Identify the season you are currently in for each of your gifts, including a season of wilderness and trial.
- Find out how to break through to the next level
- Maximise opportunities in the current stage of growth in your spiritual gift
- Navigate the challenges and joys unique to the growth of prophetic and prayer gifts
- Each chapter includes questions for personal reflection and group discussion.
This book includes practical tools and the information you need to develop a plan for the next stage of growth in your spiritual gift.
(124 pages. Available for download in either PDF or ePub formats)
Grow Your Prophetic And Prayer Gifts is written to help you grow in your prophetic gifts and break through stuck places – at whatever stage or season you are on the journey. Visit our eStore for this eBook and more resources to empower you in your gifts and ministry.
© Helen Calder Enliven Blog – Prophetic teaching
On team with David McCracken Ministries – Prophetic Ministry that Empowers the Church