Divine Visitation: 6 Ways a Divine Visitation Can Touch Your Life

Divine visitation should not be considered an exception; instead, it should be our expectation as we begin a New Year. You can have a ‘Year Of Visitation’. The key lies in understanding what that means, and positioning for it in faith.

When God visits, supernatural breakthroughs occur. Prophetic words are fulfilled, seasons are shifted and new things are brought to birth. Jesus gets the glory.

6 Ways a Divine Visitation Can Touch Your Life

What does it mean, Biblically, to have a season of visitation from God? And how can we position ourselves for it?

Following are 6 times the Bible tells us God visited His people.

As you read these accounts, there may be one or two that particularly resonate with you. If that happens, allow the Spirit of God to ignite faith in your heart, that His Word will be fulfilled in your life in the coming year.

1. Fulfilment of Prophecy & Removal of Barrenness

‘And the LORD visited Sarah as He had said, and the LORD did for Sarah as He had spoken.’ (Gen 21:1) [3]

A visitation of God broke the long season of barrenness in Sarah’s life, resulting in fulfilment of prophecy and the birth of Isaac, whose name meant ‘laughter.’

2. Recognising God Has Seen our Pain and Come to Act on Behalf of His People

‘When they heard that the LORD had visited the children of Israel and that He had looked on their affliction, then they bowed their heads and worshiped.’ Ex 4:31

A visitation of God broke the long season of Israel’s bondage in Egypt. They realised God had not left them alone in their suffering, but was intimately concerned for them. His power was about to be revealed.

3. Divine Help And Provision

‘ Then [Naomi] arose with her daughters-in-law that she might return from the country of Moab, for she had heard in the country of Moab that the LORD had visited His people by giving them bread.’ (Ruth 1:6)

A visitation of God broke a long season of famine in Bethlehem, Judah.

That Visitation had a chain reaction! The testimony of God’s goodness reached a grieving widow called Naomi, who was living in Moab. She moved to that place of visitation and her inheritance and family line was restored there.

4. Restoration of Inheritance and Homecoming

‘For thus says the LORD: After seventy years are completed at Babylon, I will visit you and perform My good word toward you, and cause you to return to this place.’ (Jer 29:10)

A visitation of God broke the long season of Judah’s exile, and they returned to Jerusalem at His appointed time.

5. The Ultimate Divine Visitation—Jesus

“Blessed is the Lord God of Israel, for He has visited and redeemed His people…the Dayspring from on high has visited us” (Luke 1:68,78)

In the New Testament, Zacharias understood that the ultimate visitation of God to His people was fulfilled in the birth of our Redeemer, Jesus Christ.

6. Outpourings of the Holy Spirit

“Repent therefore and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, so that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord…” (Acts 3:19)

From the day of Pentecost in Acts 2 and throughout church history, we understand visitations of the Holy Spirit to be times of outpouring, bringing refreshing and empowering to God’s people.

3 Ways To Position For Divine Visitation

When God moves on our behalf, or in the lives of others around us, it is not because we deserve it—it is on the basis of Jesus’ shed blood, and the Father’s favour and mercy.

We cannot earn His visitation—however, we can position ourselves to enter into what the Father wants to do.

As you will see, the key to the coming year being a ‘Year Of Visitation’ lies in our relationship with God.

1. Understand God’s Timing

The primary key to experiencing Divine visitation lies in understanding the timing of God for our lives.

In each of the above situations in scripture, it was God’s time to act. For example:

• Sarah’s pregnancy with Isaac
  • The four hundred years in Egypt come to its conclusion
  • The seventy years in Babylon completed
  • The birth of Jesus

You may know that there are two Greek words for time in the New Testament: The first is ‘chronos.’ This refers to ‘clock time’ or ‘calendar time.’ It is the word used for general time. [2]
The second Greek word for time is ‘kairos.’ Kairos means ‘due time, a fixed time, a season, or an OPPORTUNE time.’

A pregnancy is a great example of the two types of time. Approximately 9 months of ‘chronos’ time pass. But the moment comes when it is time to give birth. That moment is ‘kairos’—the due time.

God always desires to bring people closer to Himself, to fill us with His Spirit, to act on our behalf.

But we also need to see as Jesus did, what the Father is doing ‘now.’ (John 5:19)

Jesus always walked in the kairos time of God—and we can too. Here are some arenas you might like to seek God for His kairos timing both now and throughout the coming year.

Ask, “Father, what are You doing in these areas?”

• A fresh infilling of the Holy Spirit
  • An area of your life that needs breakthrough
  • Family members and relationships
  • Non-Christians that are around your life
  • A shift of season

Prayer journaling is a great way to communicate with Him and record His response. [3]

2. Pray in the Season of Divine Visitation

‘You will seek Me and find Me when you seek Me with all your heart.’ (Jer 29:13)

When God spoke these words to Judah, He was saying, in effect, ‘When the kairos time comes for Me to deliver you, you will seek Me—and I will answer and deliver you.’ (see Jer 29:10-14)

The prophet Zechariah put this well when he said,

‘Ask the LORD for rain in the time of the latter rain.’ Zech 10:1

The prophet was saying, when it’s God’s ‘kairos’ due time, pray!

When we pray, we acknowledge that we cannot fulfil God’s plan through our own efforts. We need His help.

When that prayer is answered, Jesus gets the credit, the glory for what takes place.

3. Participate With God Through Acts of Obedience

When we have prayed, it is time look for ways to cooperate with the Holy Spirit. We want to participate with God in His work.

If God asks us to do something specific, an act of obedience can bring a powerful breakthrough.

Goliath was killed by the word of the Lord AND by a stone from David’s sling (1 Samuel 17). God provided food for a widow and her son, but first, she had to give away the last of what she had to Elijah (1 Kings 17:7-16).

Sometimes, however, it is not about doing anything except simply receiving—equally an act of obedience.

There are times to contend, and there are also times to just open our hands and say, ‘Thank you Lord.’

For we are His sons and daughters, and what we receive from Him, we receive by inheritance.

Through our relationship with God, we can experience the ongoing visitation of God in our lives—to move from visitation to habitation.

Today I pray with you, that you experience a powerful visitation of God upon your life, your family, work, region and ministry. A Divine visitation that will cause a chain reaction to take place, so that as happened in the time of Naomi, people who have never know God will turn to Him, and generations to come will be impacted by the move of God.

Notes and Related Posts:

[1]  These scriptures are all quoted in the New King James Version (NKJV)

[2] VINE, M.A. Vine’s Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words.  1985. Virginia: MacDonald.

An example of ‘chronos’ is in Matt 2:7. ‘Then Herod called the Magi secretly and found out from them the exact time (chronos) the star had appeared.’

An example of ‘kairos’ is in Gal 6:9. ‘Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time (kairos) we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.’ (See also 2 Cor 6:1-2)

[3] For an explanation and examples of prayer journaling, see the following post:

Activate Your Prophetic Gift Through Prayer Journaling

See also:

Magnetic Prayer: Prayer that Pulls on Heaven’s Resources

Prophetic School and Courses Update: Jan 2018

To celebrate our summer holidays, I am currently offering 30% off both our online courses.

Offer Expires 17th 23rd January 2018 (This date has been extended due to the delay in sending my first blog email for the year)

You can find the Enliven Prophetic School here.

Modules currently include:

• Foundations of prophetic ministry
  • How to hear God’s voice, begin and grow in prophecy
  • The Seer gift: how to grow in pictures and visions
  • Discernment and prophetic warnings: how to respond and share a prophetic warning
  • Prophetic Guidance Master Class
  • Additional resources and eBooks

And the course, Spiritual Warfare: How to Identify and Overcome Spiritual Attack here.

© Helen Calder 2011-2018  Enliven Ministries

In the David McCracken Ministries Family

30 thoughts on “Divine Visitation: 6 Ways a Divine Visitation Can Touch Your Life

1. malcolm Calder

Honey, this is so good to read. This has caused me to seek God afresh that this year would be very significant for me and for us. How so very exciting that God does “Visit” His people….today!!!!!!
    Wow….what an adventure!!!

Yes, and for us personally I am blessed that our Father would take a word that I had used in retrospect (visitation) and use it to focus me forward and bring a whole lot more revelation in the process! (love His sense of humour :-))

2. Adrienne Morrison

Re: Discerning whether a prophecy is from God. I have been reading some of your articles and they are full of great info thankyou! I have been developing my prophetic gift for a few years now and it has been a challenging path I can tell you but also very exciting. At the end of the day whether someone believes what I say is from God is not my problem, I am called to speak and that is my duty to do so. The Bible states that ALL prophecy should be excepted but then tested, does it come true is the pertinent question. For this we usually have to wait and not judge immediately. In scripture false prophets were always eventually found out and their credit went out the window. However, Jonah did prophesy the destruction of Nineveh and it didn’t happen! Why, because the people repented. These days we wouldn’t know whether someone has repented or not because we don’t have cities that unite in repentance only groups or individuals. My point is this, if we were all as close to God as He wants us to be there would be no Prophets because we would be all hearing the VOICE of God for ourselves, then we wouldn’t have to worry whether it was from Him or not. Christians are basically lazy that’s why the prophetic Ministry was created, so, they have to submit to prophetic words and put up with the fact that they cannot judge straight away but they need to seek God for the ultimate truth.

Hi there, Adrienne. Thank you for stopping by the blog and taking time to leave your thoughts.
      I’m glad you have found the articles helpful.
      I do agree with you that Christians need to hear God’s voice for themselves and not rely on prophetic ministry, which happens too much these days.
      However there are at least four Biblical reasons for prophetic ministry in the New Testament:
      1. To edify and build the church (1 Cor 14:4, 12)
      2. To encourage, strengthen and comfort people (1 Cor 14:3)
      3. To equip and empower Christians to maturity—and I believe this means helping them learn to hear God for themselves. (Eph 4:11-13)
      4. So that unbelievers are confronted with the reality of God (1 Cor 14:24-25)

3. Adrienne Morrison

Advancing from my previous comment about Prophecy. I also believe we shouldn’t place Prophecy in a neat little box with a red ribbon tied around it with rules a regulations, this makes it far too limiting and stiffled. God can say anything He wants to when He feels like it, to anyone at any time. God has a reputation for saying and doing things that are seemingly outside the Word of God and unnatural to His character as we see Him to be. Remember we have the Word of God , the Scriptures but above this we have His voice, we have the letter and we have the more superior utterances of God Himself, God the Father. He may have finished creating but He certainly hasn’t stopped talking. To me, I am a walking prophecy, that when I reveral the messages Father has given to me to share, they always come true, why, because I spoke them with faith and obedience and God is not in the business of ruining that. Always remember, some things are sealed until End Times.

Thanks again, Adrienne.
      I love your thought that we shouldn’t place prophecy in a ‘neat little box.’ It is good to talk about Biblical principles, though.
      Like you, I believe that God will often surprise us. However, I do not believe that prophecy is superior to scripture, people who believe that are on very dangerous ground indeed, open themselves to deception.
      All prophecy should be weighed up against scripture… not just one isolated verse but the whole counsel of scripture.

4. Adrienne Morrison

Again adding to Prophecy talk. Recently Dr Owuor from Kenya visited our country of Australia in QLD. He came with warning of disaster which he has been doing also in other countries and proved his Ministry calling. He said “Do not attempt to Prophesy upon what I have said”. That is a pretty harsh word to give, however, that does not mean that he is the only prophet in the world to give Words of knowledge to Australia, we also have local prophets who can help outwork the repentance and turning to God that is required through our own Ministries to the Church. For example, I am called to equip the Saints into their unique calling through lessons, encouragement and testimonies of encounters with the Living God. My take is this, Prophets don’t necessarily bring fresh revelation, they bring reminders more than anything often with timing factors when things may happen causing people to rethink their status with God. The Prophetic Ministry has been dealt a heavy blow the past 3 decades with so many rising to the fact that they have the gift and so many Pastors shutting it down as well, to their detriment usually from what I have witnessed. Let them speak! If they are false then let them fall of by their own swords, that is the Word of God as far as I can see from Scriptures.

… as to your thoughts about pastors, I know that sadly, many people with prophetic gifts have been hurt in church life. I have experienced this myself and written about the lessons I learned in my book, Prophetic People in a Changing Church.

This hurt may result in sweeping statements like you have made above about pastors ‘shutting down’ the prophetic gift. I have met many pastors, and all of whom have a great deal of love for prophetic ministry and desire to release the gift in their churches.
      However, it certainly is the role of a church leader to protect his or her congregation. This means bringing protocols and guidelines to prophetic ministry that help make the church a safe place for people, and also a safe place for people to grow in their prophetic gifts–I am totally in agreement with this kind of care and believe that there is a Biblical basis for it, too (1 Cor 12, 14, Eph 4)

5. johnnyrahul

I have been dying to see the lord jesus face to face and i want to see him face to face…I want to see that humility and the meekness that he has in him.His eyes are full of compassion,I want to hear those words from his mouth.So that i can carry his anointing and do his work for his glory

6. Esther St. Juste Bondi

My name is Esther St. Juste Bondi founder of Hurting Mothers Project, Inc. started in 2011 still present, it served and still serving moms children elderly disable elderly widowed orphans and my country Haiti in need. You may view me on google page by typing Esther St. Juste Bondi OR you may send me a post card with your comment at:
    Esther St. Juste Bondi
    1168 Salt Springs Rd.
    Youngstown, Oh 44509
    330- 984- 7857
    Fax # 234-855-0033

Wow ! what an awesome website. Today is September 6, 2015 woke up from a visitation of the Lord Himself. His appearance came to me as long robe on and He look so handsome. He gave some seed into my hands and I transfer these seeds into two children’s hand. When I woke up I felt good because of God visitation to me.
    Thank you for your amazing website, it gives an idea about visitation from God.

Hello Esther, sorry I missed this comment earlier. May you be richly blessed and enlarged in your ministry. I love your vision!

Hi Moses, praying with you in agreement for the job and breakthrough in your work situation for 2016.

7. Kariuki

The visit is designed from the mercy of the heart of God.if it said mercy of God it could be enough but he adds the word tender.no one will be left out in this visitation a pharasee was visited as the Samaritan woman Blessed be God who has visited and redeemed his people

8. johanna mogale

Thank you so much for your post, I have been filled with the Holy Spirit for the past 4 days and can hardly sleep or eat and I cry most of the time…I have been worried that something is wrong but now I understand that I am experiencing a visitation from God, it brings so much joy in my heart because God visited me in 2011 and soon thereafter I lost everything, my job, my properties, my investments, everything..it has been almost 6 years of extreme hardship where I had to move back to my Mother’s house, God bless her. I know in my heart that this time God has visited me for restoration…it has taken me 5 years to receive confirmation about what happened to me in 2011, I was being tested just like Job…and I’m being restored during the year of Jubilee…exactly a year ago I posted on facebook thanking God for taking away my wordly possessions and enriching me with spiritual possessions…how amazing in our Lord?! I am bowling right now from this revelation…God bless you abundantly, He knew that I will need this message and you were an instruments in God’s master plan…Glory to the King of Kings and Lord of Lords!!!!

Hi Johanna, what a powerful testimony of praise in the midst of the trial! I pray that you will continue to experience the rich Presence and visitation of God and that His full restoration will be manifested in your life

9. Tee Henry

Awesome teaching, God wants to dwell in us, I love the topic Divine Visitation, the Lord has been preparing my heart for habitation. The more we worship Him, the more God reveal His mysteries to us. God reveal secrets and Revelation to keep our hearts grounded in Him. I believe God is raising up a mighty army that will worship and defeat the devices of the enemies. It’s time for breakthrough, deliverance, and repentance to hit the world so God’s Spirit can bring in divine visitations.My heart is humble. Thank God for you, I’m going to keep and study this word of The Lord.

10. An intercessor

Thank you very much for your powerful, encouraging and helpful post on 17 ways to recognize if we have a gift of prophetic intercessory prayer. I believe that I am experiencing this gift and am very inspired to learn more about it so that I can exercise it fully for God’s purposes. I would be very grateful if you could please answer the following questions for me asap if possible:

1. A minister said that he knew of intercessors who were prophetically gifted to sense a person’s prayers in detail in words, sentences and even paragraphs. Can you please tell me if you know of people who have experienced this expression of gift of prophetic intercessory prayer?

2. Can you please tell me if there is this same gift of sensing even a non-Christian’s prayers in detail in words and sentences? (It was unknown if this person praying was a Christian or not).

3. Can you please tell me if the gift of receiving ‘words of knowledge” in prophetic intercessory prayer can be experienced and expressed in many words and even sentences and paragraphs?

4. Can you please tell me if you know people who pray and then hear from God (through thoughts or their inner spirit) in detail in sentences and paragraphs?

5. Can you please tell me if people can sense God’s voice throughout a day spent in prayer?

6. Can you please tell me if there is a gift of discerning a person’s desire?

7. Can you please tell me if you know people with this gift?

8. A mother nun said to me that her friend had a (God-given) gift of discerning or “reading people’s thoughts”. Can you please tell me if this gift (when used for God’s glory) can be a gift of the Holy Spirit?

9. Can you please tell me if you know people with this gift?

10. Can you please tell me if you have a gift of prophecy, if it is common to not hear from God clearly or accurately 100% of the time?

11. Can you please tell me if it is natural to not clearly recognize God’s voice if it is a new experience to a person?

12. Can you please tell me if it is natural to not recognize and know that you have a gift of prophecy or prophetic intercessory prayer if it is a new experience?

13. Can you please tell me if it is natural to not recognize and know that you have a gift of prophetic intercessory prayer if it is a new experience?

14. Can you please tell me how could you can clearly discern if it is God’s, your own or the enemy’s voice you are sensing?

Thank you very much for your kind help and encouragement. Your blog has been a great help and encouragement aswell.

I pray that God will bless you and your team in all that you do for Him.

In Jesus’ name,

Amen!

Hi there! In response to your questions 1-4, no I do not know of this, and would not be able to comment on someone’s unique gift – it’s up to a pastoral oversight to determine the fruit of this both in the person’s life and character, and Godly outcomes of the knowledge they are receiving.
      In the Bible, such details were not normally given unless by a sign, often in the context of evangelism. The Holy Spirit mostly does not speak in ‘plain language’ and intercessors usually experience the types of communication from Him that I mention here : https://www.enlivenpublishing.com/blog/2017/01/26/why-does-the-holy-spirit-speak-in-mysteries/
      This one may answer some of your other questions: https://www.enlivenpublishing.com/blog/2016/06/28/is-what-i-am-experiencing-a-spiritual-gift/

11. An Interessor

I would be very grateful if you could please not make my email known to the public and just keep it confidential.

Thank you very much for your kind understanding and help.

God bless.

12. Bernie

Thank you so much for your words of wisdom what perfect timing our Lord and Saviour has been my Guide, my Teacher, my Friend for many a year l have been waiting in obedience to His Word for Him to open a door of opportunity to Spread His Word l believe my due day is tomorrow.
    Thank you for this instruction it is greatly appreciated, l seek to live by 1 Corinthians 13, Joshua 1:9 the perfect one Proverbs 3:5. May our Lord bless you abundantly this day Amen my sister Amen.

13. Terri

RHEMA! SO needed this and i receive it with all my heart! Thank You, Holy Spirit. Singing…

I feel it in my bones You’re about to move
    I feel it in the wind You’re about to ride in
    You said that You would pour Your Spirit out
    You said that You would fall on sons and daughters

So like the rain come drench us in love
    Let Your glory rush in like a flood

We are fixed on this one thing
    To know Your goodness and see Your glory
    We’re transformed by this one thing
    To know Your presence and see Your beauty

I can see it now Your kingdom come
    I can hear it now the sounds of Heaven
    You said that if we ask we’ll receive
    We are asking for the greater measure

So like the rain come drench us in love
    Let Your power rush in like a flood

So come and blow on through
    Spirit move, we’re ready for You
    To come and blow on through
    Come and do what only You can do!

Bless God for you, Helen. May Abba’s SHALOM be evident throughout your life. Amen.

14. marilyn

Thank you so so much for your faithful love of the Lord and His Word, and giving generously of the wisdom He has shared with you! I was so moved by this post. At first I thought I would deepen my roots and check other favorite translations. I was so excited that the Amplified Classic (AMPC) also uses the word “visit”, though many great versions used phrases like “took note of” or “was concerned for”…as I sat with the Lord, I heard in my spirit: a visit is when you care enough to COME.

Yes, the Lord lives in me, and yes, He is omnipresent. But because He cannot be contained in any human box of understanding…He can also visit me in a special way because He cares – at kairos moment when He comes into a situation of suffering, etc. Blessed be the Lord who daily bears our burden! And blessed be the Lord who comes to us IN our pain and waiting! Lord, provide Helen with all wisdom for Your glory, for the equipping of Your beloved children, to walk in light and life in these last days!

Helen, blessings from far away Minnesota, U. S. A. Far in geography but close in spirit. I and a friend of mine love your words.
    much gratitude, Marilyn