4 Signs You Are in Transition in Your Gift, Role or Ministry

Do you feel as though you are in transition in relation to your spiritual gift, prophetic ministry or calling?

Transition can be a difficult time. We are uncomfortable with the status quo, and yet the new opportunity that God for us has not yet manifested.

In spite of the trials, transition is powerful—it heralds the fact that a new season of fruitfulness is on its way!

Following are 4 signs that you may be in a God-appointed time of transition in your gift or calling, along with some keys to help you move forward:

1. Experiencing a low time in your ministry

Transition leads to greater fruitfulness“I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful.” (John 15:1-2)

You may have felt as though you have been in a lull, or having a time of barrenness in relation to your calling. You may have experienced a wilderness season.

If you feel as though you have been cut back in some way, that does not mean you have failed. Neither does it mean that you are in the wrong place. It may simply be a sign that God is at work, preparing you for greater fruitfulness up ahead.

Transition is a time for strong hope. ‘For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.’ (Jer 29:11)

2. God is at work in your heart

‘Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.’ (Prov 4:23)

Your gift and ministry flows from your heart. So when God is preparing you for a new season, you will find that His Spirit is ministering to you at a deep level.

Perhaps during this time of transition, hurts are being brought to the surface for healing. You may even feel vulnerable. By His Spirit, God is wooing you. He is calling you to intimacy with Him.

Mindsets that you have had are being tested and challenged. Father is saying, ‘You cannot take that thinking with you into your next season.’ It is a time to foster a mindset of faith.

Transition is, by nature, a time in which you have difficulty finding satisfaction in your current role or achievements. Now is the time to rediscover and rest confidently in your identity as a son or daughter of God.

3. Feeling you don’t fit, sensing there is more

In the past, you may have fit very well in your current ministry or role. However, during transition you find that you are no longer comfortable. You may feel as though you are like ‘a square peg in a round hole.’

Because of this tension, transition can be a test of attitude, character and faithfulness.

‘Tell Archippus: “See to it that you complete the ministry you have received in the Lord.”’ (Col 4:17)

If a season is being brought to a close in your role, make it your aim to finish well, with honour and integrity.

There may be spiritual warfare at the transition stage. Your enemy wants to rob you of your destiny.

You may be presented with a ‘shortcut’ that is not God’s best for you. Transition is a time to check options that come your way with the Holy Spirit, with others close to you and with Godly oversight.

Be assured that as you remain faithful during a time of transition, your Heavenly Father is at work in the background. He is lining up people and circumstances, and preparing the way for the new opportunities that lie ahead for you.

4. Travail

‘Your kingdom come, Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.’ (Matt 6:10)

Travail is God’s invitation to participate with Him in birthing your new season. This will be primarily through prayer and your relationship with Him. Allow the Holy Spirit to draw on the longings of your heart, to pray and intercede for what lies ahead.

During transition, your vision for the future may be clear, or you may lack clarity.

Don’t be afraid to dream and envision the next stage. Give God your imagination; give Him something to anoint, direct and work with.

‘Travail’ may also mean that practical preparations, study, or extra work is required to position for what lies ahead. Transition is not necessarily a time to slow down—be open to hearing the Holy Spirit urge you to pick up your pace.

Transition in the Life of Elijah

When God appoints a time of transition, He has already provided you ahead of time with everything that you need.

By the end of 1 Kings 18, Elijah had experienced a great victory. And yet shortly afterwards, he was on the run, fearing for his life. He was also exhausted.

God chose this brief, painful time as a transition in Elijah’s life. He encouraged Elijah to rest and gave him supernatural nourishment. Then, He gave Elijah instructions for the next fruitful season of his ministry. (see 1 Kings 19)

Elijah’s story is a reminder of the grace and goodness of God. He gives you the time needed to grieve, rest and be replenished, when you need it.

Then, at the pivotal time, God leads you into a fresh encounter Him. There, He provides you with the guidance you need to move forward.

The time has come to stride boldly into your new season.

Related Posts:

Going Through a Testing Season in Your Spiritual Gifts

3 Benefits of God-Appointed Transition

Do you feel as though you are going through a time of transition? Which of the above do you most relate to?  Let us know us about it in the blog comments section, or on Facebook or Instagram. If the blog comments box is not visible, click on this link and scroll down.

© 2016 Helen Calder Enliven Blog – Prophetic Teaching

On team with David McCracken Ministries: Prophetic Ministry That Empowers The Church

Did you receive this from a friend? Read more from Enliven Blog or sign to receive our weekly prophetic teaching updates at https://www.enlivenpublishing.com/blog

25 thoughts on “4 Signs You Are in Transition in Your Gift, Role or Ministry

1. jose ramos

Cada dia las cosas como que entran en una nueva etapa del oficio de profeta,escucho con frecuencia la voz del Señor,y en medio de cada situacion por la que este viviendo,esta voz me dice :ESPERA,ESPERA JOSE…tu vida no ha acabado,a penas comienzas el ministerio,YO ABRIRE LAS PUERTAS. Y asi termina la voz:ESPERA JOSE. SIGO ORANDO INTENSAMENTE Y CON MAS FRECUENCIA AYUNO,ACERCA DEL PROPOSITO DEL SEÑOR ME QUEDA ESPERAR.!SALUDOS,Y ORACIONES SON LEVANTADAS AQUI Y ALLA POR USTED Y SU MINISTERIO EN AUSTRALIA.

I love your passion for the call and ministry, Jose. I say ‘amen’ to your prayers! I am excited about what God has up ahead for you. He is faithful, He is powerful. The best is yet to come!

2. Karen kalasy

Reading this has helped a great deal! God gives me prophetic words and dreams. With me being a sensitive person…when people question me or are puzzled I take it personally. Wish I didn’t care what they say or think.

Hi Karen, yes I certainly understand, that has been my journey too. It takes time to grow in confidence, understanding our Heavenly Father’s love and affirmation for us makes us grow stronger. Don’t let the opinions of others stop you from continuing to pursue the wonderful gifts and calling on your life, you have something significant to give that will touch many lives for good. 🙂

3. Kathy

Thank you for this. I really connect with #3, I can sense that God is preparing the next step and preparing me for what is coming, but I need to finish my current season first, but it’s challenging at times because the motivation is starting to swing to the next exciting thing, rather than the old drag the just needs doing.
    Thank you for the encouragement to finish out this season.

Yes Kathy, it is so natural for our motivation for the ‘now’ thing to decline when something new is on the horizon! I pray that you will finish your season well, ‘in flying colours’ as the saying goes. You will build a foundation of blessing to launch your new season from!

4. Leanne Edwards

This was so encouraging! I’m definitely in a transition time and all the things you mentioned is what God is doing in/with me. Made it clearer for me what’s happening by reading your article – thanks! Leanne

That’s so good, Leanne. God is doing great things in your life in this season! 🙂

5. Maya

Hi! This is a really good article. I have just started going back to church and I am definitely going through a transitional stage, I’m enjoying it thoroughly! God is making me into the woman I am meant to be and preparing me for my destiny. Thanks for the post! God Bless! I also have started a blog with my progress on getting back into the faith with daily posts 🙂

Hello Maya, what a lovely, positive confession of faith you have. I say yes and amen! I just had a peek at your blog and it looks very inspiring. May many be blessed through your story.

6. JOHN THIKARO

shallom

yes i confirm its true am experiencing a low time in my prophetic ministry calling. and transition difficulties to cope the enemy want to bring me down my destiny and my loved one. this transition is a breakthrough for my life and my health.
    i invite Jesus to intervene this transition i cant do it on my own i need a destiny helper

Hello John,
      I love that verse in Isaiah 54:17, ‘no weapon formed against you shall prosper.’ I pray that the truth of this will overflow in praise and breakthrough in your life. Transition can be a struggle, but God is still in control. As you trust Him, He is coming through for you.

7. Kris

Everything you said is totally true. Thank you for sharing and providing some insights that I may look beyond the natural and believe God’s faithfulness during the transition. I’m bookmarking this and sharing to others who may feel the same way.

Hi Kris, thanks for leaving the note. I’m glad you have found the article helpful and pray you will continue to press into God’s grace and empowerment for the transition in your journey

8. Fran

Awesome, a week ago I posted two articles on my blog sites and webpage about seasons of transition, as I am in my own personal transition. This transition has meant leaving the familiar to go to an unknown place. I am encouraged as I read your posts and prophetic words. Thank you for your faithfulness.

“You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.” Psalm 16:11

9. GORBI

Going through transition… Thank God for His presence. i’d found this true God two years ago… kindly pray for me.. to reach successfully to His plans.

10. Elizabeth M.

I can feel that god is working the next step in my life. I was wondering what my gift was, but l think l found out what it was. My gift maybe that I’m a dreamer because some of the dreams that l have had have come true. The more l pray and read my bible the more l dream. I enjoy reading your blogs all the time and they give encouragement.

Hi Elizabeth, dreaming can be significantly used by God! I encourage you to continue pursuing Him and His Word. It’s great to hear from you!

11. Dr Blessed-Osbert

Number one applies to me. In 2000, I got baptized in the Holy Spirit. In 2003/2004, I started having prophetic dreams. I was living in the hostel then. While asleep, I would be making prophetic pronouncements that my roommates would tell me in the morning.
    In 2005, I started having real life prophetic experiences. I would sing in tongues, pray in tongues, give thanks and then interpretation would follow. Mostly in the early hours of the mornings, The Holy Spirit would come upon me and I would be praying in tongues, interpret and prophesy. It used to be like that. I didn’t struggle to prophesy as the Spirit would come as He would. But since last year, September, I started experiencing dry season. I don’t prophesy again, though I still speak in tongues when I pray. I fast often and pray for restoration yet nothing seems to happen. I study the word more than ever. I live a holy and non- critical life, yet no prophetic unction. The more I fast and pray, the more dry I am. I occasionally have visions about my country and globally but not as it used to be. I read many world acclaimed prophets and Bible teachers, yet no significant spiritual uplift. I preach often than before, I seize opportunities I have to tell others about Christ. I evangelize my communities, organize revival but my prophetic gift not coming back. The more I desire, the more I seem far from realization.

Hello Dr Blessed-Osbert. I pray for you that you will be encouraged by God’s Word to you in the articles I’ve written. This dryness is a season, it will come to an end (or as someone has said, it is not a full stop, it is a comma). You are acutely aware that it is the Holy Spirit Who is the Giver of your gift.
      I encourage you rather than to focus on the loss of the gift, or getting the gift back, focus on growing in sensitivity to (and compatibility with) the Holy Spirit. This article came to my mind to give you: https://www.enlivenpublishing.com/blog/2016/02/16/how-to-develop-sensitivity-to-the-holy-spirit/

12. Michelle Thornton

This is great! I feel that Right now I’m still on the path that God has set but feel no clarity like I did before. I am still getting plenty of opportunities but don’t really know which way to go. I feel confusion. God gave me the fire and big vision and that is still strong in my heart – I got off to a great start and am continuing on and have all these great opportunities but knowing I can’t do it all – feel I’m loosing track or is God sending me on a different path?
    Spiritual war fare!!! I’m coping it from all sides and am keeping the armour on and pressing in, praying and reading/studying specific words but really feel I’m all over the place and not hearing clearly from God.
    This is great encouragement- thank you.

13. Christine

God has given me indicators of my calling in the prophetic, yet I feel so unqualified; having no natural ability in myself to speak for him and realizing I have no idea what I’m doing in general…lol

I guess you could say I’m in transition while he transforming me into a person I don’t even know.

I have no other option but to trust him!

14. Catherine

This is so encouraging. Is currently in the season of transition. Experienced the spiritual warfare it was really a confusing time for…felt like my inside was at war literally

15. Debbie

Thank you so much for sharing this! I found it last nite Feb. 17,2018
    I do worship…more prophetic worship admist other things. I know His voice when things are changing, lifting off of me or the sense of the cloud of the lord moving by day and a fire by nite.
    Tears! For me it seems to be more of a sense of the holy fear of the lord also that you don’t want to move until he makes it even clearer.
    I really related to the round peg trying to fit into the square hole.
    Thank you for sharing his heart and thoughts really confirmed much.

16. Veronica

Thank God for you your a great teacher i needed this so bad i have the gift of spiritual disernment and what i feel and know is hard …i was going threw a battle at church were i gave warnings and they werent takin and i grieved so bad for months and i was operating in my gifts so much and got attacted by a close sister saying that me feel8ng the demonic realm wasnt from God and i discerned something was wrong and my heart just hurt so bad being there i was givin conformantion that i was no longer there anymore my time was up i left i been battling think8ng i made the wrong discussion and complaining and crying and worrying but now i know im in transission time and im trying to rest its hard to be with out a church but i have faith God is doing something i thank you for the words so much with all my heart its hard during these times and you dought yourself constantly but im excited thank you