7 Keys from a Dream that Will Boost Your Faith (Gideon)

God has anointed you to do something extraordinary for Him.

And because of this, there will be times when it seems as though a mountain of opposition stands against you. Or spiritual warfare may threaten to overpower you.

That is the very moment you are poised for a miracle of deliverance.

The Surprising Dream that Boosted Gideon’s Faith

God used a surprising dream to release faith in Gideon, at a time he faced overwhelming odds in warfare. [1]

On the eve of battle, God told Gideon, ‘If you are afraid to confront the Midianites, take your servant and go listen to what the enemy is saying’.

Evidently, Gideon was scared, for he and his servant crept down to the enemy’s encampment, where they overheard a man sharing a dream:

“To my surprise, a loaf of barley bread tumbled into the camp of Midian; it came to a tent and struck it so that it fell and overturned, and the tent collapsed.”

Then his companion answered and said, “This is nothing else but the sword of Gideon the son of Joash, a man of Israel! Into his hand God has delivered Midian and the whole camp.” (Judges 7:13-14, NKJV)

7 Insights from the Dream that will Boost Your Faith (as it did for Gideon)

The dream of the loaf of barley bread tumbling into the Midianite tent is a compelling picture that speaks to us today.

1. Surrender will not Always be Comfortable

‘A loaf of barley bread tumbled’

‘Tumbling’ gives us a picture of bread that was rolling and turning about. [2] This loaf of bread, which represented Gideon and the Israelite army, may have seemed out of control, but it was precisely aimed by the One who sent it.

So if surrendering to God has left you feeling out of control, choose to trust Him.

You may be experiencing turbulence and discomfort, but you are safe in your Father’s hands.

And remember, God’s aim is true. He doesn’t miss, and you are right on time.

2. God (Who Chooses the Weak) has Chosen You

‘To my surprise, a loaf of barley bread…’

Barley was known as ‘the bread of the poor’. It represented Israel, and Gideon. At that time, Gideon and his family were impoverished grain farmers. [3]

Earlier, Gideon had declared, ‘I am the least of the least’ (Judges 6:15). But regardless of his position in his family, or that of Gideon’s clan, or his tribe, only one thing mattered.

Gideon was chosen.

You are chosen! And God Who declares, ‘I choose the weak things of the world to shame the mighty’ is the One Who has chosen you (1 Cor 1:27).

So don’t look around and say, ‘God must have chosen someone else’. Be assured you are His choice.

Be who you are. Being authentic and surrendered to God, is powerful.

3. What was Stolen from You is Now a Weapon

‘a loaf of barley bread tumbled into the camp of Midian; it came to a tent and struck it’

The Midianites and others had oppressed Israel for 7 years. Every harvest time that enemy would swoop in like locusts, and steal the grain harvest (Judges 6:1-6).

The barley loaf represented that which the enemy had been stealing—year after year.

That very thing the enemy has stolen from you, is what God is going to use as a powerful weapon.

He is the God of the turn-around. The Lord of breakthrough is your Father, and your harvest is being released!

4. Realize the Enemy is Intimidated by You

‘Into his hand God has delivered Midian and the whole camp’

The oppression of the enemy over many years produced intimidation in the Israelites. When we are first introduced to Gideon, he is threshing his grain in hiding.

God knew Gideon needed a paradigm shift! On the eve of battle, He gave Gideon an insight into the true perspective of the enemy.

That intimidator was terrified of God and Gideon.

What a powerful antidote to fear! The Bible says that the enemy is aware of—and intimidated by—the God-given authority you carry.

You represent Jesus! [4]

With the eye of faith, see your enemy on the run, for you are an overcomer.

5. You are Anointed and Your Power is from God

‘Into his hand God has delivered Midian and the whole camp’

The dreamer recognized that the power of the bread, representing Gideon, could only be located in God, the Deliverer of His people!

Gideon was a weak and inexperienced leader. But Gideon was anointed by the Holy Spirit (Judges 6:34). And his power was from God, the one Who sent him.

Your Father is releasing you and sending you forth from His hand.

Declare, ‘My power and strength is in the Holy Spirit! The Spirit is upon me, anointing me, and working on my behalf!’

6. No Stronghold will Prove too Great

In the natural realm, a loaf of bread would have no impact on a tent.

• A tent is secured to the ground
  • It is crafted to withstand wind and weather

That tent represented the enemy’s stronghold. Its protection. But the enemy’s protection was stripped away. [5]

Now, that loaf of bread became as a sword in God’s hands.

And just as that loaf of bread overturned the tent of the enemy, God will use you to overturn the schemes and strategies of the enemy.

No stronghold can withstand the Name of Jesus and the anointing of the Holy Spirit upon your life.

7. Your Father is Merciful Towards You

On the verge of overcoming a powerful enemy, Gideon continued to have his own personal battle. He was still afraid.

But God showed him mercy.

He gave him an opportunity to be encouraged and have his faith strengthened.

When Gideon heard that dream, he bowed down and worshipped. The next day he rose up with his 300 men and God defeated that vast army of Midianites.

The years of oppression were over.

If things have been tough lately and it seems as though opposition is stacked against you, take time to worship.

The God who miraculously delivered Gideon is your loving Father.

Has this prophetic teaching from the story of Gideon encouraged you today? I would love to hear about it in the blog comments section below, or on Facebook or Instagram.

Notes

[1]Gideon had an assignment from God to save his people from the oppression of the Midianites and to defeat them. (Judges 6:14-16)

[2] The Hebrew word for tumbled, ‘haphak’, means overturned, turned over or about, to turn every way (Strongs H2015).

[3] ‘Barley was considered an inferior grain, which was used by the poor. This loaf symbolized Israel, who appeared inferior and smaller in number than the Midianite army.’ Ref Judges 7:13, Spirit Life Bible, Ed. Jack Hayford.

[4] In the New Testament, see Mark 3:11 and James 2:19

[5] See Numbers 14:9

Spiritual Warfare Online Course

If you would like to study further on this topic, I invite you to join my Spiritual Warfare Online Course.
This course (suitable for beginners) includes around 30 mini-lectures on video, and is full of Biblical wisdom and faith-filled strategies to help you overcome in time of battle.

I give you clear guidelines and step by step points on how to recognize and combat spiritual attack.

You can find out more here: ‘Spiritual Warfare: How to Identify and Overcome Spiritual Attack’

© 2018 Helen Calder Enliven Blog – Prophetic Teaching

69 thoughts on “7 Keys from a Dream that Will Boost Your Faith (Gideon)

I’m glad this was an encouragement for you, Rose! I found this study very faith-building when I was working on it today

2. Claire Nelva

Amen. Thank you, Yes, God truly is restoring that which the enemy meant to steal. Hallelujah, the oppression is breaking and God is releasing His Favour. Thank you Lord. So Grateful. Praise you, praise you, praise you. Thank you JESUS for Intercession and Your Merciful Grace and Love.

3. bikala

Am overjoyed God annointed you to remind us His children of His love, authority He has given us, and victory over the enemy any day!
      It cam at the right point in my life where am faced with challenges all around me, thank you, because this has encouraged and energized me to fly!

1. Moira Shole

This story relates to me exactly because God chose me to liberate my workplace community. no one can say anything serious about God because they are afraid of this principality that is controlling everybody. I started here 7 yrs ago and it has been war daily even when I am off at home or on holiday, I was told that my anointed worship and praise music is a problem, so I am insisting on it. I did not know any thing about warfare I had to learn on the go. The holy spirit has been my teacher – they did every witchcraft you can ever think of including to separate me with my husband. They are still trying, the Holy Spirit has been teaching me how to fight and to stand. Gideon story is truly encouraging me.

2. Sharon

Helen

In my season….. last night I have a dream brown horse chasing me and was wondering……this encourage me

Sharon

3. Jules

Thanks so much Helen. May God meet your every need. What does breastmilk represent? Someone sent me to go get frozen breastmilk from two people and I did. In my dream. And y do i shake when reading some texts..like this one? Thank you

Hi Jules, dreaming’s not my forte, but I always encourage people to go to the Bible for meanings first… milk speaks of God’s Word, breastmilk may refer to intimacy…I’m sure there’s more for you to discover

4. Tatiana

Helen, thanks so much for the Word! so in time and so encouraging. Your Spiritual Warfare course also blesses me immensely! Tatiana

Thank you Tatiana! I’m glad you’ve found the spiritual warfare course a blessing, I remember while creating it there was such an anointing for worship on the whole thing…surprising and it blew me away!

5. Alta Freeman

God Bless you Helen;
    Thank you for obeying God to encourage me, these last few years has turned my hair
    So grey from the stress of spiritual attacks that came through those who profess they
    Served God. My Pastor even had me feeling me I missed God he was ready for me
    To return to church after 3 months into my God given assignment which took 2 yrs.
    To complete.

Sorry to hear it’s been difficult for you Alta, praying for you right now.
      Have you come across my book ‘Prophetic People in a Changing Church?’ Let me know if you would like a free copy of the PDF version – it may help in the area of church relationships.

6. Mary

Dear Helen, I want to thank you sooooo much for moving with God to publish this word. It ministers to me in such a deep way. I am really encouraged by this word from the Lord that I am beginning to see myself and the enemy differently. Instead of seeing myself as helpless against the enemy, I see myself as being empowered by GOD ALMIGHTY!!! HALLELUJAH! GLORY TO GOD!!!! God bless you!!!

7. Joyce

I am facing a challenge where my husband has thrown me out of his hse. I have the children no money on me away from home borrowing a place to stay. I have been rejected by my family n thus no support even friends whom I thought that they help me.
    Taken to police for a little debt but still didn’t have money to settle it.
    I have bn ridiculed, mocked,abused by people I thought were my closest. But today I went for an interview and believe that I’ll find rest-peace in God’s provision. I am so encouraged by the story of Gideon.

oh Joyce I’m so sorry to hear of all that, praying for you right now, your Father is trustworthy and full of love for you…believing with you for the opening doors of assistance and provision

8. Ann Merlino

Helen, your posts have been right on time for me so often. This one is too. Thanks for using your prophetic gift to encourage me and many others!

9. florence ochieng

Dear Hellen,
    I am blessed to read your prophetic word. Each time I read it always speaks of my situation and gives anwers to some questions I may be asking.
    Florence

Scripture is such a rich treasure and storehouse to help us and meet our situation every time. God is good!

10. Hilda Mokhele

Thank you Helen.Everything that you’ve said, you are talking to me.I will make time to pray like i used to.Thanks a lot

That’s great Hilda, I’m praying right now you find that place of fresh encounter with God and be lifted

11. MARTINS

Beloved Helen, I welcome you back from vacation. My heart rejoice for this piece, it is faith boosting, and direct to one’s soul. Thanks. I have read this article for three times, trying to figure out, and rewind my memory to fix it. I have not been able. My question now Helen is; how do one pick dreams and link it to the bible, f or clearer answers and hope. If dreams appear confusing, and could not be linked with the bible, what must be the next step after waking up? My life has been characterized by challenges, almost suffocating my faith, and gifts. In all these, God has been faithful raising helps even from distance land. Do challenges provoke dreams?
    You are a blessing to many prospective prophets, and I pray the Lord continues to reveal more to you, to help us stand straight.
    Be blessed.
    Martins.
    Nigeria

Hi Martins, thank you! Sometimes we have to ‘turn our dreams inside out’ in order to understand and link to Scripture. If an element in a dream is confusing or dark, what is the opposite? What is God speaking to you about redeeming? He will reveal to heal.

12. Rita S.

The enemy has tried to destroy my identity through oppression so that the calling might also be lost. Who I am in Christ (my true identity that has been restored) is the weapon that intimidates the enemy and so I am grateful for your word, once again, that bring confirmation and encouragement. With love, a sister in Christ.

13. Alton

What a prophetis encouragement coming at an opportune moment for the ministry God put on me! I thank God for you Helen

14. Karen Sewell

Dear Helen
    Thank you for this very encouraging story about Gideon.
    The enemy robbed and stolen from me so much in my early life, but God has restored so much over the last 20 years I am amazed by what God has done and what he has called me to. My life is a far cry from the broken shattered child that I was. My pray and cry is for my 3 of my children who are prodigals – I feel robbed by Satan of their faith and love for God I pray for them I trust God to draw them close, sometimes it’s hard to stand when Satan fires the darts or trouble through them. Your post has encouraged me to keep trusting standing and believing that God will bring restoration and victory in their lives too.

Kind regards
    Karen Sewell

15. Belinda

Thanks for allowing God to use you.i had a dream last night that I got a book from a person and I closed the book to see the title and it was”Its’s Extraordinary”. Then the speaker called my name and blew on my left ear/neck and the power of God went through me like electricity. And began to shake. I woke from the dream and 30 min late received this email. I opened it and the first line reads” God has anointed you to do something extraordinary for him.” I dropped my phone. Father is blowing my mind. Thanks for send this confirmation right on time. God bless you and your ministry.

Wow God! His love is revealed, even in the choice of a word. I love that Belinda, and love the dream. Freshly anointed!

16. Veronica Guerrero

I am so thankful this came at the right time thank you so much i was feeling it from God and this is confirmation thank you

17. verna field

Hi Helen. your email today was sooo incredible to me. I am going through a number of health issues at the moment. Every time I make enquiries about test results for one particular health issue, I keep getting different answers feom different people. I am getting so frustrated and I feel the enemy is having a field day with me at the moment. I have given my health issues to the Lord and I know he is in control but I still keep getting pulled down. Your comments please. Regards Verna Field

Hi Verna, I can certainly understand the frustrations, praying with you right now in agreement for the clarity that will bring empowerment to you, and healing and keys you need, in Jesus’ Name

18. PEDRO PONDOC

The true success is to know the information, information that’s God’s revealed to every believer in Christ Jesus..

19. Lisa Vaughn

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! And by the way did I say “THANK YOU!!!”

🙂 🙂 God is good! I was on a prayer walk this week and I had the strongest impression of that ‘loaf’ of barley colliding with the tent. I knew Father had something to say to all of us through this story and it has been timely for me too

20. Esther Burgess

I want to gain me insight in understanding the prophetic as God is taking me in that realm. Thanks for the information you share

21. Rosamund

I have been getting your words for some months now and I feel that you are talking to me personally as I wait for the Lord to move me in the next few months, both geographically and also to receive an anointing for a specific ministry which the Lord has indicated will be a surprise to me. I have faced such onslaught from the enemy for the past 31 years since our three sons started to be born that I have to block it out of my mind. Much of what the enemy sent me could not be shared with any but the very closest friends and even they would not be able to understand my misery fully, but I am starting to see that the Lord saw it all and was indeed with me throughout. Thank you!

22. Sheila Martin

Greetings beloved.. Thank you so much for the Prophetic teaching, I was meditating during this week on a similar Word our ladies prayer group about how we should worship when we feel weak.. After experiencing how refreshment come from the presence of God!! Hallelujah!! . Thank you for confirming and now I too have more clarity and insight.. Definitely going to share with our ladies tonight!! Much love and peace from Cape Town – South Africa

23. Evangelist K. Smith

To God be the Glory, Thank you Prophetess this was so on time for me. There is so much I could say but I will close and just say Thank you. May the Lord continue to bless you.

24. Jean

Hi Helen
    I love this post and will read it over & over to hear what the Holy Spirit is saying. In this teaching you mentioned seven keys – well that caught my attention straight away. I recently was just sitting quietly with the Lord and I saw a picture. It was a picture of lots of little silver keys more than ten (like the ones for kitchen windows) literally just thrown down in front of me. I have been thinking about it’s meaning what is the Lord saying the keys he has given me to overcome.

25. Nwagba Temple Success

Thanks very much for this master piece and keys of divine insight. I am in a cross road because God told me at the 10th year of the place of my service He’ll show me the next thing, messages are coming from all corners that God is sending me some where for another assignment but yet God have not said anything me yet or reveal any though is remaining a month to the 10th year of the ministry. But there has been great troubles and challenges. But through this insights you shared my faith has increased and i am ready to wait on God for directions, i am indeed blessed by this keys, God bless Enliven in Jesus Mighty Name.
    Pastor Nwagba T. Success.

26. Jadien

Praise the Lord, Helen. Thanks for sending this powerful e-mail. When God give us an assignment most of the time we do not understand . And that is when the enemy of our soul step in and fight our mind, steal and try to change what God has told us. God promise never to leave us or let the enemy have victory over us. THANKS, for the story of Gideon, a chosen vessel of God. Yes he was scared, but once he realized God was with him, he became that Mighty Man of Valiant. May God bless you and thanks for thinking about us. I am praying with you and for you.

27. Ji

Since l told you about encountering the Isaiah verse 43 19 three times in 4 days from three different places two weeks ago, I feel that I ought to tell you this.. I have been looking for a job for the past 6 months and I got a job offer last week. God really listens to our prayers!! God is so good!! All Praise be to God!!!!!!!

28. Natasha

Dear Helen, thanks for the teaching I’m really bless and encourage.
    I have been getting so many dreams and was searching for someone to help me interpret them.
    Please let me know if I can share them with you.
    Thanks Natasha.

29. reji

God has anointed you to do something extraordinary for Him.

That is the very moment you are poised for a miracle of deliverance.
    your writings are inspirational.
    i pray for many people everyday and when i lay my hands on them some of them falls.
    and some of them shed tears and a lot of things healing also.
    so i believe that god is planning to do something through me.
    thanks for your writings.

30. Bhaso

Thanks Helen ,in these days I feel tired of doing anything but I believe that is God is preparing great things for me,I am lazy to pray,I feel as if I am repeating same prayer now and again,I need a boost or a back-up, but God is in control,My prophecy is missing ,thanks for the boost

31. Joan Torres

Thank you Helen. Last night I had a dream (again) of being a waitress but getting to all the people was difficult. There were so many tables. I didn’t have the right pen or order pad. When I went back up to the kitchen, the kitchen was gone. It seemed like a store was there. then I spoke to a man that I had known a long time ago and he owned half of the restaurant and the owner was a man of some color. The sign was black and white. I drove away in peace.
    I was blessed with a small ministry called New Hope for Women, Inc in Pennsylvania. Our heart is to set women free by the Word and the Radical love of Jesus. I also have a son who is battling multiple things but our mighty King is in control. Thank you for your passion to come along others to encourage and enlighten.

32. Pitso Clovis Tsoku

I thank God for sending you into my life through the email you send me.

This had encouraged me so much. I feel strong to face the enemies of my destiny. I now have faith that what God has called me for, by His power, in the Name of Jesus, will surely manifest in this world

May God of prophets richly bless you, in the mighy Name of Jesus.

1. Esther Burgess

Helen thank you for the words of comfort, conformation, and for allowing the lord Jesus Christ to use you as an instrument to the nation. With available instruments such as you are, irons are being sharpened in the faith to continue on in Christ. Remembering that the sufferings of this world is not worthy to be compared with the glory that shall be revealed in us. God bless you

33. Stephen

I used to look down upon myself not knowing that God has chosen me .in spite of not being educated God has chosen met to preach the Gospel to his people I pray that may spirit of Gideon be in me thank you Jesus Amen

34. Addie

This was on time word. I am a new Pastor who was confronted by one of seasoned members first time about me using a youth that not saved (but has approved to be train by the Presiding Elder) to serve in holy communion service. She felt the child should be saved first. After deep discussion that member was so angry her eyes were red ? I felt so attacked and angry. I pray for wisdom and this blog came to me. I believe God is reminding me about only the priests we’re annointed to serve holy communion. Please advise I am encouraged how God use Gideon.

Hi Addie, I believe in these kinds of situations always refer to and lean into your leadership rather than engage in a confrontation – our leaders provide a covering for us