Whatever your dream; whatever has been prophesied over you—whatever the Holy Spirit has revealed to you concerning your destiny—with God, there is always more.

Today, as Enliven Blog is about to reach its 9th anniversary, I share five lessons I’ve learned about the call of God from my own personal journey.

1. Be Assured Your Father Has Been at Work From the Beginning

It can be astounding when God calls you into something, and then He opens your eyes to how He has been at work all along.

Looking back, you see a trail of clues.

While you were on the journey, you had no idea how events were going to unfold. But there comes a day when you see how your Father has been at work all along.

Prophetic writing has been like that for me.

For many years, the chief focus of my writing was private journaling. I spent hours every week recording prophetic insights, and copying Bible teaching notes that inspired me.

• I have a stack of handwritten diaries in a cupboard that no one has ever seen

And I never anticipated it being any other way.

During the 1990’s, my pastor wrote in the margin of a course assignment, ‘You have a gift of writing that God will use someday’.

And then, there were the newsletters I wrote to friends, family, partners and missionaries. This was during the years my husband Malcolm and I were in full time ministry with a mission agency. [1]

Reports began to trickle back that the Holy Spirit was ministering through my writing. People were crying and laughing, touched by God’s Presence, as they encountered Him while reading my stories.

It is only recently that I have come across even earlier clues.

2. If You’re Called to Prophetic Ministry, Love God’s Word First and Foremost

I found it hidden on my bookshelf recently; a yellowed and tattered copy of a book called ‘Come Away My Beloved’, by Frances J Roberts. The inscription inside the cover reads, ‘To Helen on the occasion of your baptism’.

I was 16 years old.

How I loved that book of prophetic writings! It became worn, torn and faded. Many times, a paragraph from its pages leapt out at me. It was the Holy Spirit ministering a prophetic ‘now word’ from my Father.

I learned that a personalized prophetic word could be spiritual food. But by that time I had already discovered the main meal: that was, irreplaceably, God’s Word.

As a teenager, I read my small King James Bible from cover to cover. And I will never forget the time I sat listening to Professor E.M. Blaiklock teach from Luke 24 about the disciples meeting Jesus on the road to Emmaus.

The reason the elderly scholar was able to describe it so vividly, was because he had actually been there. As was his custom, he read his New Testament from the original Greek, translating into English as he shared.

God used Professor Blaiklock’s passion for Scripture, its language, culture, geography and history, to light a fire in my young heart. The power of the encounter I had with God and His Word that day strengthens with every year that goes by.

I pray the Holy Spirit stirs such a passion in you, above and beyond your love of prophetic ministry, to know and love the Bible.

3. Understand Some of Your Destiny Will be Held in Mystery

To be honest, in spite of this trail of clues—now visible looking back over the decades—the call of God has taken me by surprise.

• I never saw a ministry of writing up ahead
  • And I never anticipated prophetic ministry as a primary focus

Through all the years of praying and dreaming about revival—during all of the years my husband and I served in missions—we never saw this coming. [2]

Perhaps you are in the middle of your own journey right now. Transition can be painful—you don’t see the way ahead. But Your Father sees. The One Who loves you knows. He is working all things together.

Hold on to your expectation about how your call will be worked out, lightly.

Be prepared for your Father to unfold and reveal aspects of your calling He has held in mystery.

You can trust Him.

‘Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us…’ (Eph 3:20, NIV)

4. Know God Can Turn Your ‘Mess’ Into a Message

The book ‘Prophetic People in a Changing Church’ is an account of my journey of failure, deliverance, repentance and restoration, in prophetic ministry and prayer.

The friends who helped me publish the book and create a website, urged me to begin a blog. And I did so reluctantly at first, not knowing how I could sustain it.

Not only was Enliven Blog born out of my repentance journey, I also started blogging at one of the lowest points in my life.

During the year 2009, I was recovering from burnout.

So, when website analytics inform me that as I approach this 9th anniversary, some two million unique visitors have found Enliven Blog, I know without a shadow of a doubt this is all about His grace.

Truly, Jesus can turn your mess into a message. He can turn failure into favor.

And that weapon that was formed against you—the one the enemy tried to knock you out of the battle with—is the very weapon you will take in your hands.

Your Father says you are already an overcomer.

5. Stay Dependent Upon the Holy Spirit

By Jesus’ grace, you can do this. He’s got this.

Enliven Blog is on a journey. As much as I seek His heart, as much as I love Scripture, I live with the knowledge that I see ‘through a glass darkly’ and that Enliven Blog is always going to be an imperfect reflection of all our God is, and all He wants to do.

It is a humbling reality to live with.

Yet I’m also glad to acknowledge that, because prophecy and prophetic teaching must always turn us back to further study of the rich treasure that is His Word.

And to hear from Him for ourselves.

So, here are nine years of writing; around 440 articles. I own up to everything that is weak. But everything that lasts—every person who is fed, empowered and who encounters God—all glory goes to Jesus.

What is Ahead for Enliven Blog?

As I cross over nine years and into the tenth, I know there has been a shift. Recently, the Holy Spirit is leading me to write more prophetic words—messages from God’s heart and His Word to His people.

In finding the book by Frances J Roberts given to me at my baptism, I realise my Father has known all along. I have come full circle and yet have only just begun.

I will continue to produce prophetic teaching and training posts. By now, Enliven Blog has a great deal of training that is freely accessible, and I will continue to build upon it regularly.

Enliven Resources, Courses and eBooks—Our Birthday Gift to You

During the rest of July, You can purchase our courses and a selection of eBooks from our online store at a 20% discount.

Providing additional teaching through eBooks and courses enables us to provide more mentoring to those who would like to receive it. The sale of these resources also helps support the ministry of Enliven Blog.

We’re on a Break

I have never been able to write and schedule postings ahead of time, and often—especially recently—receive the inspiration for a post just as I’m due to write!

This is why when my life gets busy with engagements, or I’m on a break—as I am during the next two weeks—Enliven Blog takes a break too.

It’s time for my husband and I to celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary.

Notes
1. We started serving Asian Outreach as volunteers in 1987. Malcolm was National Director of Asian Outreach in New Zealand from 1995-2002, and then here in Australia from 2002-2004.
2. ‘Enliven’—the name of our ministry and this blog—is a synonym for ‘revive’.

Thanks
I cannot share a post about my writing journey without making mention of those people who have influenced and contributed to it along the way. I have just updated the thank you page here.

I would love to hear from you! Leave me a note in the comments section below or on our Facebook page to share how this teaching is meaningful to you this week.

© 2018 Helen Calder Enliven Blog – Prophetic Teaching
A part of the David McCracken Ministries family

78 thoughts on “How to Fulfill the Call of God for Your Life (5 Lessons from My Prophetic Journey)

1. Shane Bekker

Congratulations on reaching 35 years of marriage. Have a wonderful time together resting and discovering more of what Father has for both of you.

2. Mucha

This spoke to me. Early this morning I had a dream where I was told another aspect to the call God has on my life. Also I was told to Trust Him. And that His favor was upon me. I thank you for letting God use you and releasing what’s on His heart. God bless you.

I love it how the Holy Spirit speaks and confirms God’s word for us, thank you Mucha

3. Delarious Morrison

Hello don’t usually comment because I’m not sure if you will read this…but thank you soooomuch for this much needed Word….I’m in my repentance and transition moment…life is so hard as I try to fight my weaknesses and stay in the will of God.. because I KNOW he has called me for an evangelistic ministry. Please pray for me…..Thank u and happy Anniversary to you and your husband

Hi Delarious, and thank you for leaving the note. I’m praying for you right now. May you find that place of rest and confidence in Jesus’ finished work, and receive His ‘lift’ upwards and release into all He has for you.

4. sybil

Thanks so much, your words spoke to my heart too!

I reflected on 1, and it is so true. Reflected on God’s hand in the university I attended, where I met my husband, my first job, the times I faced challenges and having peace knowing all things will work out for my good.

I am not good with journaling and will start soon – already printed some personalised prayers and message received from Mother who pray group at my daughters’ school.

Abundant Blessings!

Hi Sybil, personalised prayers and declarations have been a blessing to me too, over the years

5. Lade

Ma’am
    This is such an encouragement for me in this times when I have chosen to trust God to guide me in the paths to His planned purpose, whatever that may be.
    I’ve been so blessed by the articles I’ve read on your blog and impressed by the simplicity and clarity of each one – it led me to the conclusion that writing is indeed a gift from God.
    I bless God for this wonderful source of instruction and encouragement.
    God bless you and yours.
    I love and celebrate you.

Thank you so much, Lade. I’m glad the articles have been an encouragement to you.
      “The Lord bless you
      and keep you;
      25 the Lord make his face shine on you
      and be gracious to you;
      26 the Lord turn his face toward you
      and give you peace.”’ (Num 6:24-26)

6. Stacie Sutton

Dearest Helen, as always, your light on the dark path of life, shines bright for all to see! Thank you so much for sharing so selflessly all these years. I for one, continue to receive guidance and hope through your journey and would not have been able to build my own faith up, without you! Yes, all glory goes to Christ Jesus, but without those brothers and sisters, further down the path, to show us the way-His way-stumbling and falling harder, and for longer periods, would be my portion, at least! Much love and a heart-felt congratulations on both of your Anniversaries! Yours and Malcolm’s and your wonderfully inspirational, and anointed blog! Thank God for Enliven Blog! Most Sincerely, Stacie

7. Sashi Sehgal

Happy anniversary!
    So grateful you have wandered into your calling and helping others like me to do the same! Thank you ever so much for your ongoing encouragement, very grateful for what you guys do.
    Enjoy your special time, blessing, Sashi

Wonderful, Sashi, just came across the word about the Dawn Treader and another one you sent, today.
      very meaningful…thank you!

8. Mario

Hi thank you so much for your email. It came at a time I realy need it. Please pray for me more I have lost my whole life and never could achive anything and I have achieved nothing till now men my age have it all. It hurt to see me so far behind. I have made wrong chooices but I ask God to forgive me and help. In His Word He say He will restore all the years the locust and cancer worm have eaten. I trust in God and believe in Jesus and His word. I want to be something I want to be a very big Evangelist like Billy Graham. I am now 38 years old no house,no job,no wife,no place of my own,no car. I am thankful for God for delivering me from drugs and life of crime and living on the streets. Now I ask God to make me a vessel,to use me for His glory. You encourage me through your writing not to look back. I want to have also beautiful family,house and car.

9. Andre Rose

Hi Helen! First of all congratulations on your 35 year wedding anniversary! You’re blogs are such a blessing… Thank you so much for stepping out to write them. Today’s blog brought me to tears… I’m going through a very challenging transition period.. and today’s blog just brought comfort and reassurance that GOD is still with me and He has a plan, even if I don’t know what that plan is. Thanks again Helen. GOD Bless you!

10. Robert

This is certainly my word.

Thank God for this timely word.

11. Jara

Happy birthday, Enliven Blog, and congratulations on your 9th ministry anniversary, Helen! It’s funny how your posts are always a confirmation of what God just revealed to me. No more wondering why. I was also born in July. ? This year, God’s been showing me how He majorly blesses me with what was born in July (Amazon, the Youversion Bible app, a church, story characters in Christian lit, etc.). May He continue to bless you, your ministries, and those whose lives you touch!

12. Twila

Helen, Every time I receive your writings in my email box, it’s unexpected and amazingly timely. Lately your writings are to me as if you were writing to me personally as they have been encouraging me in ways and times when I needed those words. It’s amazing to me how God works in that way! I am learning how to be more faithful in having a more intimate relationship with God and your words encourage me to keep on when I’m discouraged or struggling. Thank you for your faithfulness to your calling, and for your willingness to encourage others through your gift! Know that God is using you as you take the time to send out your thoughts to us! God bless you on this, your big anniversary!

Thank you Twila, I’m glad to hear the words have been encouraging you!
      Keep on pursuing that intimacy…I’ve been meditating on Jesus’ words in Rev 3:20 more lately. May you know that full fellowship He speaks of. <3

13. Michael Anowih

God bless you, you word came to me when I needed it most….you’ve given me a step to take at my crucial points in my journey (The Word Of God) and (Having Time To Look Back Upon On Your Calling). There are many visions God gave me and it’s happening bit by bit as am struggling through and He tells me more in my Bible studies.

That sounds good Michael! And it’s ok for the meaning (and fulfillment) of visions to unfold slowly

14. Richard Ellis

Dear Helen, Congrats on 35 years of marriage. When you write ‘transition can be painful, you don’t see the way ahead’ this is where I am right now. This morning I was reflecting on my circumstances in the early/mid 1980s (~35 years ago) before my first marriage. Looking back, I can now see how God was lining up for me all the key elements for a successful life. Unfortunately though, I didn’t see it then, & furthermore I went on to mess up in every area. Now, I feel as disheartened as I did in those far-back days. And yet, reflecting on those things God had done then, I encouraged myself to believe that he was doing the same today (he is a faithful & gracious God!). And then when I opened my email, I read your ‘blog’ message! It was a great encouragement.. Yes I do believe, but please Lord help my unbelief!
    – Richard

Hi Richard, thank you, and I’m praying for you right now, may you know a sense of grace for where you’re at now, and empowerment for your next steps forward

15. Tiffany Isaza

I also have a prophetic call on my life and have a gift of writing. I just started a blog and am working on a memoir. So glad I stumbled across this I’m new to all of it.

I love that Tiffany! I pray you will know that inspiration of the Spirit that is ‘the wind beneath your wings…’ as you write

16. Kabura

Congratulations to you Helen and Malcolm Calder on your 35th Marriage anniversary. This is a sure sign that marriage in God works. May you celebrate many more together. I wish above all things that you may prosper and be in good health even as your soul prospers. May you live long to jog with your great great grandchildren 😉
    Happy 9th birthday to Enliven Blog. More grace to you as you write. Your prophetic ministry is so helpful. May God grant you more insight and revelation to help many for His own glory. I wish you well Helen.

Thank you Kabura, I love that blessing and receive it in Jesus’ Name… and to you also

17. MARTINS AKINBODE

All glory, all honour be unto God for you Helen and Malcolm. This message is, for me timely, inspiring, and food for my soul. All your descriptions match my daily battle, my confusion, my agitation, my desire, and most time my frustration. But you beam the light of your relationship with God, and darkness that has been troubling my soul could not comprehend your insight that shed brighter light. I thank God you.
    Happy anniversary, The Lord will continue to strengthen you in this great prophetic assignment. I have many questions, but I will wait until after your vacation.
    Be blessed.
    Martins
    Nigeria.

Hi Martins, yes there are difficult times, but He’s with us through it all… be encouraged again by the words of Psalm 23, praying for you right now

18. Prabhu Manuel

I am very new to your blogs, but I must say they are such a blessing to me. For a person just stepping out into the prophetic it’s so encouraging and assuring especially your free ebook.
    Thanks and congratulations on your 35th wedding Anniversary.
    Bless you.

19. Mary K

Hi,
    Congratulations on your 9th year of enliven blog and 35th wedding anniversary.
    Deborah in the Bible had a one- on-one ministry to the children of Israel, I believe that was a crucial part of the Prophectic ministry.
    If our giving you a feedback on your writing encourages you, the reverse is no less important.
    I suggest you reconsider your policy of not replying to individual requests
    Enjoy your move to next level of ministry.

I do understand what you mean about ‘not replying to individual requests’ Mary, if only it were possible and I had more time, but I try to answer comments on current blog (as I am today) and on Facebook, Twitter. Just working on growing my team so we can respond more, Hope that helps

20. Bill O'Dell

Helen
    I enjoy your emails so much. I can relate to the “journey” God takes us on, and reassuring us
    that He is working ahead of us at all times. This Sunday our pastor has asked me to lead the
    prayer service on healing. I will speak on Matt. 8:16, 17 and then use Acts 4:29,30 to call those
    who are sick. If you have any comments or suggestions they will be appreciated.
    Bill

Bill, that’s a special opportunity! The Scriptures are great. And I pray that the Acts 4 answered prayer will be your own experience too. May your faith be strengthened and let the healing flow, in Jesus’ Name!

21. Jules

I should study the Word more dilligently. Thank you Ma for being a blessing. Happy Anniversary to you and yours and i pray many more years of bliss for your marriage.

Thank you Jules, and amen, may your hunger for His Word grow and your capacity to receive it increase

22. Christabell

Thank you so much for all the messages that you share with us. I am still new in this prophetic journey and am trusting God to hold my hand as He guides me. I still need all the help for me to understand God’s purpose for my life. Continue being used and being obedient to God.

Amen, Christabell, He’s faithful and will reveal what you need, as you need it. Thank you

23. Noel

Hi Helen, I just red your block, its very inspiring.
    I just want to ask you a question. I’m still battling to understand this prophetic word,(a man of God he once prophesied me. He said God has given me the spirit of David, like David I will be a man after His own heart and I’ll be like a deer who parties after waterbrook.) I’ve been trying to meditate on that prophetic word to understand what did really God meant when He said He has given me the spirit of David.
    Hope to hear from you and have a blessed day.

Hi Noel, I believe there will be many facets to a word like that, as you meditate on David’s life and some aspects of his heart after God (eg his hunger for God, ref to deer) and what he carried are more meaningful or relevant according to the season you’re in. But the first thing that sprang to my mind when I read this was his faith

24. Hamuli Nguma

Hi ,I enjoy to hear your past every time you send us the messages .
    Congratulation for your 9 years in this present ministry thank also your husband
    to sustain you in this wonderful job.

God bless you.

HAMULI MARCEL NGUMA.

25. Udobong Samson YUDO

Congratulations on reaching 35 years of marriage with your own husband , have a blissful vacation together.

26. Frank Yap

Congratulations on the 9th Anniversary of your Ministry. I have always find your writing spiritually inspirational.
    My gift from God had always been an evangelist and I find your mail-out reassuring even though I know the bible.

Hi Frank, thank you, and I pray your ministry as an evangelist grows, may you be inspired to see next stages and see what God is unfolding ahead for you. “How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the gospel of peace,
      Who bring glad tidings of good things!” (Rom 10:15)

27. Steve McCracken

Hi Helen

Well done my wonderful friend and faithful minister of our incredible Father! Your years of faithfulness have blessed multitudes. You write with life flowing!

Congratulastions also on 35 years of marriage! May this timely break be refreshing in every way!

Love and blessings to you both

Steve

Thanks Steve, and also to you on completing 10 years of writing ‘Believing in You’ daily devotions.
      I have learned it’s only by Jesus’ grace – and oh praise God, that grace is abundant!

28. Marilyn Moats

Congratulations on your anniversary and I hope you enjoy a wonderful and relaxing time together to celebrate your love for each other!
    Thank you so much for the writings and insights you provide us. I feel a bit like a sponge when I read your words as I try to really learn and understand/apply to my life. (I’m okay with that..lol) I have been feeling like God has been leading me in a certain direction the past few years. I have taken the first step toward that goal, but the end (as you said it might be) is a little fuzzy yet to me. I’m okay with that because I can see that God has been leading me and allowing me to go through things throughout my life to make me ready for this. I am so thankful for the Holy Spirit’s leading and scripture and the fact that God knows all and has a great plan for me! Thank you, I so appreciate the work that you do!

29. Tinashe

Thank you so so Mich Halen you really uplift me every time you write, I am so touched and I find myself falling in love more and more with the Holy Spirit every time I read your writings !

30. Priscus Elishamah

Shalom. I thanks God to be one of your students madam. Though the prophetic ministry has been tough journey to me, I have find your articles very helpful in every time I feel like to give up. Am struggling a lot in terms of resource to minister ,please pray for me .I love this calling ,I don’t want to give up. My prayer everyday is that Our heavenly father grant me a special grace to go on until his will accomplished in life.
    Thank you for writings.

31. S. Yancy

Thank you so much for the “Enliven Blog”!!! Thank you for surrendering and submitting yourself to GOD our father, Jesus our elder brother, and the Holy Spirit!!! Through your obedience many have been blessed tremendously!!! I can’t begin to tell you how many times as I walk through this prophetic journey, your posts have encouraged me to keep pressing in and moving forward towards the Kingdom mandate assigned to me!!! Thank you so so much!!!

32. Kimberly

Helen….just found ur blog tonite as I sought Yah earler about a pending need & heard the answer from a teaching on fb to, “endure” basically, that Yah would be w/ me IN the situation w/ me & NOT deliver me this time. I shared that to add….that I took a snap shot of ur quote that (para) “the same weapon the enemy used against me would bring my victory in the end!” Thx…I needed that tonite. I’m not sure what tmoro will bring but I received two great words via internet & what else can a girl ask for? Left job Jan ’18 for call into ministry & a prophet from another country anointed me in Apr. Ur words tonite brought comfort so continue ur work. Congrats on 35! Beautiful! Kimberly – WV, USA

33. Michelle

I am in need of prayer. I also believe I have calling in prophetic ministry through my journaling over a few years, which I believe were/and are inspired by the Holy Spirit. I know I have a calling for the Lord’s kingdom; Im just uncertain of whether it IS as a prophet of God. However, I believe He has led me to your online course, which I will likely take to explore this further in my obedience to the Lord, and love for Him. Regarding my need for prayer, I am experiencing job burnout of 26 years in the insurance industry, and it got so bad that I actually walked off a contract job the other day, with no other means of earnings at the moment. I told them I wouldnt be returning. Now a day later im panicking and calling other recruiters to help me find work in the same field Ive burned out in. This cycle of living paycheck by paycheck, doing highly stressful deskwork is draining me. Please pray for me that Jesus will take my “mess” and make a message out of it, indeed. My worklife added to my knowing that I have a calling from God and need to fulfill it, both are really putting me into a pressurized state of mind, and I know this is not what the Holy Spirit intended. I appreciate your insight.

34. Michelle

Thank you, Helen and may God continue to bless and keep you and your husband as you both faithfully heed His will for your lives.
    I am taking your $6.95/mo. course. I APPRECIATE the affordability. I’m still in the Intro section of videos but its going parallel to the life experiences the Lord is using to bring me into full submission and better self-understanding. Thank u for stating u had to repent several times in the beginning stages of your prophetic ministry journey. This reality is ongoing fo me as I fight to slough off the “former old man”, and accept my renewed spirit and self. I believe the Lord is also leading me to go through missionary training, so I can be of service to the lost, here and abroad.
    The Holy Spirit first started training me for service in 2008, and Id half served Him and half stayed in the world, up until this Feb, 2018. I was coming out of a sleep in the AM when I heard a “voice” say, “I have a job for you..to help my broken-hearted” people”… Well, I recognized the voice, and I froze in spirit bc things were going with such difficulty in my life at that time that I tried to deny what I’d heard, as well as its true meaning. Well not only did things not necessarily improve in my life, my problems surmounted like nothing I’d seen before. I KNEW in my spirit it was fully or partially due to my disobedience. Lord has been graceful and patient, but intent with me though, and here 6 months later since “hearing” the Spirit’s call, I have accepted His call and am submitting more and more everyday. Its been a process and still is a process. All the things Jesus has been telling me, which I have journaled from 2008 to the current time, Im planning to publish to help point people to His loving offer of salvation, but also offer reality and truth about the eternity of those who refuse. God has given me visions for many years and other consistent visual images of His Spirits that support my calling for service and delivering His Good News.
    Thank you for listening, Helen. Any insight or spiritual direction u can offer would be greatly appreciated.

I can see Father’s fingerprints on your journey, Michelle! Don’t worry about things being unclear at times, your loving Father is at work. I’m about to produce a new post on God’s timing which may be helpful to you too.

35. Patty A Flowers

I was once in a beautiful relationship with my Father and we walked and talked continuously. He would use me to speak prophetically at times and then one day He said I was called to be a prophet….I told Him that I would really love to be a healing minister….about a year later I was invited to my friend’s church to hear a special speaker….when she was on stage talking she pointed at me and said…”You are a seer!”…I said NO I AM NOT! (I thought seers were soothsayers) but I was young and had no one to train me….just the Holy Spirit. (My church didn’t do “prophets”)….. So I finally accepted the call and it became a time of loneliness…people began to avoid me. But I had a wonderful husband and then one day God said this would be the last year I spent with him….he was going to die. I will skip a large part of the story to get to the day he died…..I died….and I couldn’t…wouldn’t minister to anyone. Wouldn’t pray…I just fell into a deep sorrow and I grieved his death nearly to the point of my own death….so years went by….a wilderness of not having a relationship with my Father….until now…..my walking away got me into lots of problems….and I have finally surrendered to Him and asked Him to come back and be Lord of my life….but here is my question……did I lose my calling?

Hi Patty, I’m sorry to hear of the extended trial you’ve been through and for the loss of your dear husband.
      You haven’t lost your calling, it’s ready to come back rich and strong, that doesn’t mean it will come about all at once, but our Father does have a way of moving us into Divine Acceleration. Here’s some articles that may help encourage you: