5 Ways to Stop Intimidation in its Tracks!

To intimidate means ‘to make timid or fearful: frighten; especially: to compel or deter by or as if by threats’. [1]

Those of us who are seeking to grow in our spiritual gifts and ministry will occasionally experience the pressure of intimidation.

As Paul wrote to Timothy:

‘For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands. For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.’ (2 Timothy 1:6-7 NIV)

Like Timothy did, we will sometimes need to push through fear and intimidation, in order to reach the full potential our Father has for us.

5 Ways to Quickly Stop Intimidation (When it’s Based in Spiritual Warfare)

1. Know You Have the Overcomer Within You

When giants appeared in the Old Testament, the effect of their presence was to produce intimidation. The giant Goliath had the whole of the Israelite army quaking in fear (1 Sam 17:11).

What is the characteristic of a giant? A giant is physically large, appearing to loom over you.

Such size, whether through physical circumstances or in the realm of our imagination, is a lying message that says, ‘You cannot overcome me!’ [2]

The enemy wants us to overestimate his power and underestimate the power of the Holy Spirit within us.

Never forget, you have the Spirit of God—and the enemy is no match for Him. John writes, ‘You are of God, little children, and have overcome them, because He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world.’ (1 John 4:4, NKJV)

2. Refuse to Respond to Threats

A threat is a message that projects a negative outcome. It is a declaration of intent to do harm.

Threats are a hallmark of intimidation that is based in spiritual warfare.

• When Jezebel threatened Elijah, the effect was intimidation. For a time, this affected Elijah, but we read of how God brought him rest and replenishment. (1 Kings 19)
  • Nehemiah’s enemies tried to intimidate him through distraction and threats, in order to stop him and the Jews from rebuilding Jerusalem’s wall. Nehemiah refused steadfastly to take the enemies’ bait. [3]
  • Religious intimidation tried to shut down Peter and John, but they would not allow it to affect them. Instead, they turned to prayer (Acts 4:17-20).

As soon as we identify any ungodly threat coming against us, we can step into a place of rest.

Declare, ‘This does not touch me, in Jesus’ Name’. Like Nehemiah did, refuse to respond to threats. Determine to only respond to God and His Word.

3. Counteract Intimidation with a Message of Faith

Understand that there is a message associated with fear and intimidation. It is a lying message about you, that seeks to undermine your confidence and diminish your capability.

During times of intimidation, a threat may be subtle, such as a feeling of oppression, or a battle in your mind (2 Cor 10:3-5).

• It may be telling you the opposite of what the Bible says about you; that you are inadequate or unworthy, or will fail in your gift, ministry or something else God has called you to do.

The Bible tells us the devil is a liar. Jesus said, ‘…When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies’ (John 8:44b, NIV). By contrast, the Holy Spirit is the ‘Spirit of truth’ (John 14:17).

You have the sword of the Spirit, the Word of God! You have everything you need to counter and defeat that message of fear.

When intimidation strikes, turn that message around. Confess, ‘God has not given me a spirit of fear, but of power, love and self discipline! He has given me a sound mind!’ (2 Tim 1:7)

Know that you have protection through the blood of Jesus. You have a Kingdom mindset!
‘For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves’ (Col 1:13 NIV)

We can build our faith through study, meditation and confession of Scripture, along with a strong assertion of God’s personal promises to us.

4. Have Strong Church Relationships

We flourish in community, where others around us can encourage and lift us up, and vice versa. We are called and created to use our gifts in the church body (1 Cor 12).

In nature, we often see how a predator (such as a lion) will seek to devour animals in a herd who are weak, straggling or isolated.

We break the power of intimidation when we seek to serve, honor and make room for others, and value the input of our leaders.

‘Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that the family of believers throughout the world is undergoing the same kind of sufferings.’ (1 Peter 5:8-9)

5. Move in the Opposite Spirit

We can turn immediately intimidation around, as we focus our attention and awareness upon the Person of the Holy Spirit in our life.

Today, receive a fresh infilling of the Holy Spirit and His boldness, and remember:
‘The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. And by him we cry, “Abba, Father.”’ (Rom 8:15, NIV)

Recall your royal DNA! See yourself with the eye of faith, striding forward with faith and boldness.

The Holy Spirit is touching you now.

Notes

[1] See https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/intimidate
[2]Some of this article is excerpted from the latest update (3rd Edition) of the eBook Unlocking the Gift of Discernment, which you can find in our eStore here.
[3] See the post 3 Signs Spiritual Warfare is a Distraction

I would love to hear from you! Leave a note in the comments section below, to share which of the above you are putting into practice this week.

Spiritual Warfare Course: How to Identify and Overcome Spiritual Attack

If you believe spiritual warfare may be at work, and would like to study further, consider joining me in the Spiritual Warfare Online Course.

This beginners’ course includes around 30 mini-lectures on video, and is full of Biblical wisdom and faith-filled strategies to help you overcome in times of battle. I give you clear guidelines and step by step points on how to recognize and combat spiritual attack.

You can find out more here: ‘Spiritual Warfare: How to Identify and Overcome Spiritual Attack’

© 2018 Helen Calder Enliven Blog – Prophetic Teaching
A part of the David McCracken Ministries family

28 thoughts on “5 Ways to Stop Intimidation in its Tracks!

1. Agnes

Amen! What a timely word for me, especially concerning threats and the spirit of fear! The great I AM lives on the inside of me and I am an overcomer in Him and through Him! Thanks for sharing this, Hellen. Blessings on your life

Yes He does! I’ve had this word half written in draft form for weeks Agnes, it must have been time for its release <3

2. Tina Perry

Thank you for this! I was just ministered to about these two words. I’m praying to be totally free from fear and intimidation so I can move forward in ministry.

3. Wanda

God bless you. This was very encouraging to my spirit, mind and soul. I thank God for his spirit that fell upon me as I read this message. Yes spiritual warfare has been strong in my life…but thanks be to God that gives me the victory!

4. Nicholas Quayson

Amen!!! and Amen!!!, I receive the fullness of the Lord in Jesus mighty name.
    *A powerful message and I really love it.

5. Bert Smith

Thanks sister, right on , keep it up , I needed that, may God Bless you and your Ministry abundantly, Amen, Hallelujah.

6. Leanne Bowie

Thankyou Helen, what you’ve written is so encouraging. David wasn’t intimidated by Goliath. He didn’t focus on how Goliath could defeat him, his focus was on God, and how much bigger God is and how God was telling him to defeat Goliath. The spies sent out by Moses, 10 saw undefeatable giants, 2 were so enthusiastic about what God was giving them, gigantic fruit in the Promised Land, the fulfilment of God’s promise to take them home, they saw God’s victory before He’d even given it.

7. Akinkuotu Dayo Oseyemi

I so much cherish this! In fact it met me at the point of my need I was about asking my self some odd questions but this article quickly brought me Bach.
    May the Almighty God continue to strengthen you.
    Amen

8. Cyprian

Thanks for the knowledge.i feel my faith going up in spirit and truly the devil is a liar and by the power in Jesus he will never intimidate us.

9. Priscilla Reid

Wow, It’s mind blowing to me when our Father met us right where we are. For over half my life, the spirit of fear had me bound. Someone prayed for me and said that it was broken but will try to come back in a different form. Well, that’s exactly what happened. Anytime I was asked or if I knew that I was going to be asked to speak or pray in front of people or even on the phone my mind would go blank. People know that I was dealing with fear but only used it against me. All I can say is BUT GOD!! I’ve been told for years that I have a prophetic calling on my life. The would say, you can see, the world will know your name. I was grateful to God for that but always wondered how can God use someone like me. Fear had me bound!!! With tears in my eyes, I can truly say that TODAY, I have been set free! Pastor Calder, you will never know all the lives God has and still using you to touch. Thank you for your YES to our Father.

10. Sashi

Helen, an extremely timely word. This week has seen a very strong struggle come down as the Lord has reinforced the power of faith in Him, in His greatness, that He is greater. Wow God, and thank you for a well articulated word. Brilliant

11. David Paul

Am very blessed reading this article even though not in full. May God grant you extra ordinary grace to write more. I will join the course as soon as I have money.

12. Pastor Enock

Am really touched- always your posts are spiritual timed with visions I see a day before….and messages that I would be preparing on the day. It is indeed inspiring and assuring of God’s Spirit in our lives daily. May the Lord keep on using you for his Glory. We are receiving the Word. Shalom.

13. Mbalenhle Qwabe

Thank you so much for this!Wow,this is really moving.I have been operating under fear for the longest time,and just two weeks back,The Spirit of the Lord revealed that I am under attack,and I need to clothe myself fully in the armour Of God.Tried to ignore it again,then you sent this.God Bless You Helen<3

14. Heidi Nicolaou

Thanks Helen for this message on overcoming the spirit of fear. This is one giant I have had to face and overcome most of my life. As I magnify God and speak the word of God (sword of spirit) hold up (shield of faith) This has worked for me. When I face fear and intimidation I say, Lord your word says God has not given me a spirit of fear but of love, power and sound mind. Your perfect love casts out all fear and I receive your love right now into my soul. Gods Dunamis power is casting out the fear and your love is flooding my soul with peace. Peace comes to me quickly now when I speak this prayer and declare the blood of Jesus over me.

Wow Heidi, that is my story too! I have been thinking of you over the past few days and I know that your ongoing life’s testimony is going to be the turn-around, that instead of continually having to stop and fight this giant, you’re taking giant steps forward of faith and boldness. I believe in you. I know many leaders are going to be raised up through you. Keep in touch <3

15. Christina Alameda

AMEN Thank YOU my LORD FATHER GOD”, I receive YOUR fresh Infilling of YOUR HOLY SPIRIT of boldness and yes i remember Romans 8:15 for i did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but I have received the SPIRIT of adoption by whom we cry out ABBA, FATHER” Hallelujah my ABBA, FATHER” GLORY GLORY GLORY TO GOD Hallelujah. Thank You Prophetess Helen Calder a timely message indeed and truly from my heart I receive. LOVE And GOD BLESS You ALOHA Always Sister Chrissy Honolulu Hawai’i

Thank you all so much for the comments! Each one means a lot to me. I’m preparing for a speaking engagement today, but I’m looking forward to getting back on here next week and responding to you then.
    Keep them coming! <3

17. Ssenabulya Shama

May God bless you.
    I had total fear;My faith was failing;I had began hating my life and yet I had a call to ministry;I was worried of where to sleep,what to put on;I had stop using my spiritual.Thank you so much for this lesson it has changed my life.

Praying for you right now Ssenabulya, may the shift continue for you and may you blossom and grow

18. Paul Davies

Hi Helen
    Thank you for your ‘blog’ articles, they always inspire! This one came at the right time to remind us
    ‘who we are in Christ’ as we step out to start a new Connect Group.

A new Connect Group! I love it when God births new things, may you receive inspiration and strength, and may others be pulled in by the Spirit to support and provide practical help too

19. Ene IYOKO

Thank you so much pastor for reminding and encouraging me to use the power in the word of God in difficult times.

20. Cat Threadgold

This last week I’ve found a new hope in the area of walking in His gifts, and that has been through a new reveltaion of my Christ-given, Father-designed and Holy Ghost-powered IDENTITY.
    I only just got to read this email, and it all resonates with me so much.

A few things I got from this were:
    -When intimdation comes, don’t take it personally, it’s an attack by a hateful enemy because of who I belong to.
    -Every battle and giant has a growth oppurtunity. David and his men went on to slay several giants after Goliath, I think David’s boldness grew after the victory in the Valley of Elah
    (it find it funny that Elah means oak… I reminds me of the saying about “The acorn is just another little nut who stood his ground and became the mightiest of trees. Haha, so relevant to King David and us)

I think the things I can put into practise more are renewing my mind with the truth when the enemy intimidates. Have some go-to verses that I use, and to become wise enough to draw my Word Sword as soon as the enemy fronts up.
    Another thing is to ask Holy Ghost “What is my repsonse to be in this battle?” because God knows what His plan is, and it’always good. I must trust in that truth more.

It has been tricky to plant into a church where I believe I can grow in God’s gifts and callings and form strong realtionship locally in a rural area, but investing more into the people I know who are encouragers and prophetic has been really beneficial.

Finding and enrolling in your School of Prophecy and Discnerment was truly an answer to prayer, as I had been crying out for mentoring in prophetic giftings.

Bless you much Helen.

Thank you Cat, I love all of that! Very insightful about the oak 🙂
      I pray you continue to receive much wisdom and revelation. Be encouraged.

21. emmanuel

your write up has always been ‘an every moment impact’ to my life.infact i am very grateful.may d~lord strenghten u d more.thanks a lot!