What is the Prophetic Meaning of New Wine?

New wine. It’s a prophetic theme of the Holy Spirit—and one I know God is speaking to a number of us about right now. Many are hearing Him say:

‘A new era is here! This is the season of new wine. You are about to encounter Me as you never have before.’

• The theme of ‘new wine’ appears throughout the Old Testament, especially with reference to the Promised Land
  • Jesus used the metaphor of new wine in His teaching (Luke 5:39) and John tells us that Jesus’ first miracle was to turn large vessels of water into wine, at the wedding feast in Cana (John 2:1-10)

What is the Prophetic Meaning of New Wine?

‘Jesus said to the servants, “Fill the jars with water”; so they filled them to the brim. Then he told them, “Now draw some out and take it to the master of the banquet.” They did so, and the master of the banquet tasted the water that had been turned into wine.’ (John 2:7-9a, NIV)

As I’ve been meditating on what the Holy Spirit is saying, and the significant theme of new wine throughout Scripture, here are eight key insights that stand out:

1. New Wine is Associated with the Holy Spirit

Wine is symbolic of the Holy Spirit and Jesus spoke of it in association with the move of God (Matt 9:17) [1].

In the New Testament, the infilling of the Spirit is compared and contrasted to drinking wine.
‘And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit’ (Eph 5:18 KJVS, see also Acts 2:13)

What God has for us is distinctive for right now; it is a particular anointing for this new era. A new wine from Heaven! But let’s be aware—that which is ‘new’ tastes different. Now He says,

‘You have learned to receive of Me in one way, and now I am coming in another. One that you are not used to, and there may be a time of adjusting. I have a different impartation for you!’

“And no one after drinking old wine wants the new, for they say, ‘The old is better.’’ (Luke 5:39 NIV)

2. New Wine Speaks of Renewed Love and Intimacy with God

‘Take me away with you—let us hurry! Let the king bring me into his chambers. We rejoice and delight in you; we will praise your love more than wine. How right they are to adore you!’ (Song of Songs 1:4 NIV)

There are frequent references to ‘love like wine’ in the Song of Songs.

In the new wine season, the Spirit is wooing you. Hear God say, ‘I am calling you to intimacy with Me. And in that place, I will be your greatest delight’.

3. The Trial is Giving Way to Joy

New wine is from grapes that have been through a recent process of crushing. In the Hebrew, the words translated ‘new wine’ mean freshly pressed, squeezed, expelled, and trodden out [2]. The grapes have come through the winepress, where they have been trodden underfoot.

Wine has been produced under pressure! So, if you have felt as though you have been going through a process of crushing, lift up your hands.

Now is the time of outpouring.

4. New Wine Means it’s Time for the Harvest

In the Bible, new wine is associated with the harvest.
‘Then I will send rain on your land in its season, both autumn and spring rains, so that you may gather in your grain, new wine and olive oil.’ (Deuteronomy 11:14. NIV)

A harvest from God is abundant. And He has promised a day of overflow; one in which the harvest and new wine will be plentiful.

“The days are coming,” declares the Lord, “when the reaper will be overtaken by the plowman and the planter by the one treading grapes. New wine will drip from the mountains and flow from all the hills…” Amos 9:13 NIV
‘Give, and it will be given to you: good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over…’ (Luke 6:38)

5. New Wine Brings Celebration

The seasonal crushing and treading upon the grapes was a time of great joy and celebration for the community (Jeremiah 48:33) and wine is associated with gladness and celebration in Scripture. (Psalm 104:15, John 2)

New wine is also associated with blessing and bounty (Deut 7:12-13, Jer 31:12)

6. Where there is New Wine, New Wineskins are Needed

“Neither do people pour new wine into old wineskins. If they do, the skins will burst; the wine will run out and the wineskins will be ruined. No, they pour new wine into new wineskins…” (Matthew 9:17 NIV)

John the Baptist’s disciples questioned the difference between John’s and Jesus’ approach to fasting. It wasn’t that Jesus didn’t believe in fasting (He taught on fasting) but He was often seen at parties and gatherings, in contrast to John’s austere lifestyle.

And that’s when Jesus’ taught on the difference between old and new wineskins. He was saying:

‘For this period of time, this is what God is doing. But don’t settle even for this—for the time is coming on My Father’s calendar when it will change again!’ (Matt 9:15)

Where there is new wine, there must be a new wineskin; a ‘flexible container’ for the new anointing God has for us. It’s time to ask:

• What ways, means and methods are now being surpassed?
  • What strategies does God have for us to embrace?
  • What is the Holy Spirit indicating, as we pray about this?

7. New Wine Means God’s Promise is Being Fulfilled

When God promised His people the land of Canaan, He spoke consistently of the new wine. It was ‘part of the package’—something tangible they could look forward to in the Promised Land.

‘So Israel will live in safety; Jacob will dwell secure in a land of grain and new wine, where the heavens drop dew.’ (Deut 33:28 NIV)

Isaac gave Jacob the blessing, ‘May God give you heaven’s dew and earth’s richness—an abundance of grain and new wine.’ (Genesis 27:28 NIV) Hear your Father saying,

‘This is My promise to you, being fulfilled. Here I am! That which you have looked forward to, the new wine is here. This is the day your ‘cup runs over’.

8. The New Wine Season is One of Miracles

As at the wedding of Cana, the new wine was miraculous.

Just as the master of ceremonies at the wedding was astounded, and servants looked on in wonder, people will be amazed at what God is doing.

In the season of new wine, Jesus is glorified!
Together, we rejoice and say, ‘You have kept the good wine until now!’ (John 2:10, NKJV)

[1] See https://www.jackhayford.org/teaching/articles/symbols-of-the-holy-spirit/
[2] tiyrosh, Strongs H3423 and asiys, Strongs H6071

© 2018 Helen Calder – Enliven Ministries
A part of the David McCracken Ministries family

34 thoughts on “What is the Prophetic Meaning of New Wine?

1. Princess

Thank you for your Obedience UNTO OUR Lord JESUS CHRIST THE SAVIOR AMEN I LOVE YOUR HUMBLE TEACHINGS FULL OF THE TRUTHS OF GOD ALMIGHTY AMEN

1. stephen ruhinda

i absolutely bless the lord for such deeper truths. am currently going through such a pressing that I have thought of giving up. but I see a new wine from heaven flowing forth out of all this crushing and pressing. thanks hellen. my faith is lifted!!

2. Jeba

New wine brings celebration. Let us celebrate the victory of the Lord. Jesus won the battle!
    Let us rejoice in Him.

3. Crystal McFarland

We live in the states and your ears and heart for the lord are very spot on because god is working incredibly through the Holy Spirit in my life personally and in our valley. We are studying the book of acts and so far the miraculous testimonies of his goodness and grace are abundant and overflowing after coming seasons of drought and tough times within our church and personally our lives! We pray for your ministry and support it and all it’s oeople that are loving jesus and our God and connecting with the Holy Spirit! Blessings to you all!

Hello Crystal! Amen and thanks! May your valley be filled and overflow – till it be as Paul wrote ‘The Lord’s message rang out from you not only in Macedonia and Achaia—your faith in God has become known everywhere. ‘ 1 Thess 1:8

4. James Chihombori

Thanks Helen
    I have been dreaming about new wine five times and , thank God, I now know what it means.

5. David Hunter

Hi
    Thanks for the prophetic insights into new wine. I recently had a lengthy debate with a friend. He saw new wine as an analogy as a bad thing. He was using his knowledge of wine to compare. New wine is often less flavourful, costs less, is less impacting, less sought after and not as pleasing as the old.
    I referred him to a wonderful message about hermeneutics and that we must ensure scripture means today what it did then…and in ancient times old wine was most often “off” it soured, got mouldly and mildew and as the acid in the wine reacted it took on the flavour of the vessel in which it was stored ( often leather or clay) and would eventually destroy the vessel and cause leaks or total loss of wine.
    That’s why new wine and new wine skins has such potent meaning.
    Anyway. I really found this meaningful hearing Gods encouragement about the season!!

Wow those are great insights David, I love learning about the background of Biblical times, culture and geography, and that’s fascinating!

6. Per Holbo

Thank you for this message. I believe it is from the Lord and it fits very well with my own conversations with Him as of late.

Yesterday I wrote down what I believe God is saying to my own church. I have yet not shared it with my pastor, so I won’t post it here, but there is one scripture that has come to both me and others in our church these past 1-2 years: “Jesus said, “You believe because I told you I saw you under the fig tree. You will see greater things than that.” (John 1. 50)

I strongly believe we will see a world wide revival very soon. A revival with such power and manifestations of The Holy Spirit with regard to healings, speaking in foreign tongues and other miracles that many will come to Christ and many will come to church services, because they’ve heard about the wonderous things happening there.

I am practising obedience to God’s calling in bringing prophetic words from Him and letting it go as soon as I’ve said it out loud.
    So, I want others be the judge of this word…

God bless you and yours

7. Mathias VC

Hi helen,

i’m verry thankfull for your study’s and wisdom that is shared to us.
    I’ve got a better understanding of the term “new wine” and what the bible tells us about it.
    I do have one more question tho, there is been a new song brought out from hillsong called new wine.
    They sing “Jesus bring new wine out of me” and i have trouble finding the biblical meaning behind it.
    What does the chorus “Jesus bring new wine out of me” speak about biblical?

Hello Mathias,
      I’m not sure what the songwriter had in mind specifically, but what comes to mind is that just as Jesus turned water into wine in the ordinary serving vessels, so He does with us – we are transformed on the inside through our new life in Christ. The imagery is similar in this verse written by Paul: ‘But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us.’ (2 Cor 4:7)

8. Blessing

Thank you for this. For a few weeks now, I keep on reading scriptures on “new wine” by chance, so I decided to search for the spiritual significance of it.

9. Martha Smith

God equips the obedient…He is powerful, great, Loving, bigger, holy and one true God! Tower of refuge and much more! When you run to him for a rescue, his attributes becomes yours! That is the God we serve. Not longer i but Christ who lives. Gal.2:20.
    Thnk You!?

10. Bright

GOD BLESS YOU REAL GOOD.

I literally heard in my spirit ‘The new wine’ and decided to have a knowledge of what it means. Thank you for your revelation.

11. Paddy Venner

HI Helen
    Throughout the UK summer month of August while on holiday i couldn’t get the new Hillsong song New Wine out of my head. I am lead pastor of a dual campus church in the UK – Eternity Church – http://www.weareeternity.com – and so i started researching new wine on my return, and love this article you’ve written. It resonates with me and I want to use your subtitles for a two part preaching series. May I have your permission to do that please?
    Our dear friends Gary and Nikki Rucci run a church in Brisbane and have linked in with you at some stage in their journey, and commended your ministry to me.
    Be blessed

Hello Paddy, greetings from us here in Melbourne, Australia! Yes you are most welcome to use the subtitles and any of the teaching content. I pray that the fruit of your preaching, and what you’ve been carrying (now I’m going to look up that song in Spotify – thanks!) be to see the manifestation of the Spirit’s new wine poured out in abundance – your people, region and beyond.

12. Bennie

I was blessed by your prophetic exhortation. I’m praying for my friend to receive the new wine of salvation and baptism in the Holy Spirit. Could you agree in prayer with me? Thanks in advance.

13. Min. Akes Ebini

I truely love this revelations and comments. I had a dream of someone prophesying in my dream that God is gping to give me a wine estate soon. So that intrigued me to search about new wine, before I came in contact with your piece. Thanks, i have leant a lot, and also have understood what the dream is all about. But if you still deemed it fit to throw more light, on the said dream, i would be very much oblige. Thanks, may God conyinually bless you.

Hi again Min. Akes, I’ve come back to your comment because the word you were given about receiving a wine estate stuck out to me. And I don’t usually share interpretations but there’s something different about this one. I believe it’s a word for many more people.
      In the Scripture, the vineyards can be a metaphor for God’s promise (Promised Land – the inheritance being prepared ) Deut 6:10-11, or God’s people (Isaiah 5) and in Jesus’ parable (Matthew 20) the Kingdom.
      I believe God is saying to all of us, that He is calling us to have a mindset of a son/daughter who is an heir, an owner in His vineyard (Kingdom), not a slave/laborer. To know who we are and the Kingdom that is ours.
      Also maybe specifically to some people, God is giving you responsibility in His Kingdom where you will be given ministry oversight or care over one area in particular.
      Anything you believe God is speaking to you personally, especially related to ministry or major change, needs to be weighed up and prayed about. This article may be helpful https://www.enlivenpublishing.com/blog/2016/02/02/7-ways-to-prepare-for-your-prophetic-calling/

14. Kenneth Weston

Helen thanks for sharing your gift. I had Proverbs 10:3 spoken over my life. The Pastor said to change the Word barns for studios, and vats for New Wine. I am an artist sculptor. And wondered what this message means, all the elders in this meeting received this same message for me. Could you please tell me what it means Helen I will we grateful also if you send me your eBook.
    Shalom Howard Shergold. My Jewish family name?
    Howard Weston the changed family name used by my parents!

1. Martha Smith

I enjoy reading your emails regarding your prophetic teaching. I felt God is ministering to me and to whoever comes across your email. Sometimes i wonder how i got connected to you way far in Australia! This reminds that our God is who he say he is, and that we’re tiny objects and he can do whatever he wants to do with us because he count the hairs of our head. New wine reminds me about Jesus and the Samaritan woman at the well. John 4:22-24. God wants to take us to a new level of understanding and that is not all about us but about him. He said to the woman, the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the father in spirit and TRUTH;
      God is waking us up through you.

Thank you!

Thank you Martha (and hi from down Under!) – I love your thoughts from John 4 – yes and amen!

15. bernard

Jesus explains what the new wine stands for and we testify to it every time we take communion: the wine represents his blood which was shed for the forgiveness of sins and represents the new covenant.

Thanks so much for that Bernard, your insight is a great blessing. That is certainly the crowning truth!
      I would like to add this to my article above when I have time and will reference your comment.