Prayer: When Your Cry Goes Up, Heaven Comes Down

Today, I believe God is encouraging those of you who are in a position of great need.

Right now, you may feel as though you have little strength to pray, except to simply cry out to God. And He wants you to know that your call to Him for help is powerful!

• Deliverance is being released
  • Favour is being unleashed
  • Angels are being assigned
  • Your tipping point is on its way

Three Directions of Prayer

The key to all prayer is not a formula, it is simply relationship with God. We have a Father in Heaven who loves us and we have access to His throne through Jesus’ shed blood (Heb 10:19-20).

Jesus’ teaching on prayer can be summed up as, ‘Ask your Father in My Name’ (see John 15:16).

Prayer comes in many forms and in many ways. By way of example, here are three directions (perspectives) of prayer. Each has its own significance and it is the last I believe God is highlighting today:

1. Horizontal: Positioned in Prayer Before God’s Throne

When we take a horizontal approach to prayer, we are positioned by faith before God’s throne. We are aware of this stance as we pray and petition Him concerning our needs and the needs of others. We can be bold. We can be strategic!

‘Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.’ (Heb 4:16, NIV)

2. Downward: Exercising Heavenly Authority on Earth

This direction of prayer is when we step into our royal authority as sons and daughters of God. We recognize our Heavenly position in Christ; then, we take our delegated authority and enforce our Father’s intentions on earth, in Jesus’ Name.

‘And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus.’ (Eph 2:6, NIV)

Actions we can take from this ‘Heaven to earth’ perspective include: making prophetic decrees, and binding and loosing.

3. Upward: Praying from Earth to Heaven

‘Hear my cry, O God; listen to my prayer. From the ends of the earth I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I.’ (Psalm 61:1-2 NIV)

There are times we are praying from an earthly position. We are praying and interceding from the perspective of our (and others’) humanity, frailty, weakness and need.

When your cry goes up, Heaven comes down.

A prayer from earth to Heaven is powerful.

• It is not an inferior type of prayer.
  • It is a supersonic prayer!

Your Upward Cry Releases Answers

Have you been calling on God for help? Today, God wants you to know He has heard your cries.

God answered the ineloquent groans of Hannah’s broken heart. Her prayer birthed a son, the Prophet Samuel—who would be instrumental in national revival.

‘Eli answered, “Go in peace, and may the God of Israel grant you what you have asked of him.”’ (1 Sam 1:17, NIV)

In a time of need, your prayer may be an inarticulate groan like Hannah’s, but know this:

Your cry to God for help echoes in the chambers of Heaven.

Your Cry Reveals Your Heart

Hannah’s story shows us that it is not the style of prayer, but the attitude of our hearts that God responds to. Jesus Himself cried from earth to Heaven in His time of distress:

‘During the days of Jesus’ life on earth, he offered up prayers and petitions with fervent cries and tears to the one who could save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverent submission.’ (Heb 5:7, NIV)

In the midst of whatever trial you are going through, know that God sees past your words and straight to your heart. In His love and mercy, He is coming through for you.

Your Cry Unleashes Deliverance

One of the most powerful acts of deliverance in Scripture was in answer to the cry of God’s people in slavery.

The Israelites’ cry of distress rose from earth towards Heaven.

Then, when God acted on their behalf, miracles and acts of great power were unleashed and Israel was delivered out of Egypt.

‘The Israelites groaned in their slavery and cried out, and their cry for help because of their slavery went up to God. God heard their groaning and he remembered his covenant with Abraham, with Isaac and with Jacob.’ (Exodus 2:23-24, NIV)

As you cry out for help in the midst of the trial, the persecution, or spiritual oppression, your cry is coming before God. He is arranging deliverance on your behalf.

‘In my distress I called to the Lord; I cried to my God for help. From his temple he heard my voice; my cry came before him, into his ears… He parted the heavens and came down…’ (Psalm 18:6, 9a, NIV)

Your Cry Arouses God’s Compassion—and His power

Our Father doesn’t despise our humanity—He has great compassion towards us in our weakness and frailty.

‘As a father has compassion on his children, so the Lord has compassion on those who fear him; for he knows how we are formed, he remembers that we are dust.’ (Psalm 103:13-14 NIV)

A simple, Heavenward cry for help pulls on your Father’s compassion.

He will not hold back His power, for His mercy is abundant towards you.

In any moment of crisis, all you need to remember is the simple approach to prayer Jesus taught: ‘Ask your Father in My Name’ (John 15:16)

Has this teaching on prayer encouraged you today? I would love to hear about it in the blog comments section, or on Facebook or Instagram. If the blog comments box is not visible, click on this link and scroll down.

Related Posts

The Three Directions of Spiritual Warfare
How to Pray with Greater Faith (One Master Key)

© 2017 Helen Calder Enliven Blog – Prophetic Teaching
A part of the David McCracken Ministries family

27 thoughts on “Prayer: When Your Cry Goes Up, Heaven Comes Down

1. Jerome

Your teaching on prayer has helped to reinvigorate my faith and I’m sure it’s same for many more around the world who has been groaning in prayers. Thank you Keep up the good work. Shalom

2. Angie Gipson

I simply disobeyed. I knew it and I asked Him to give me a way out, but He did not because He wanted me to do it in my own strength and I knew that too. Again I disobeyed. Earlier in the day while I was being dis obedient I read my daily devotional on my phone and meditated on Him telling me that He will come visit, but he would wait in the hallway until he was invited in. While I was out I got a terrible migraine. I’m still feeling bad, but that’s another story. Laying in bed I prayed because I knew all of this and asked for him to come in out of the hallway, for him to please help me with the rest of my healing, my fears of never again being able to properly speak to people without fear of their horrible judgement, (another story) to be able to laugh and joke again, to love honestly and not keep pushing people away, have friends that He chooses, to FEEL LOVE. And He did?

3. Wynne D. Maynor

This was very encouraging being as though I cried out to God Almighty this morning for a new job. I just finished a temp assignment last week and I am in need of income to pay mortgage and other monthly expenses.
    Thank you for this article.

Wynne

4. Joseph Kamkile Matini

Hi. Everyone.
    One i was aprouch by two little girls at Cape Town,their uncle was very sick and they say he is the only one left in their family i must pray for him.At first i was afraid of failure but they cape coming for more than two days than i ask my brother to accompany me to their place.I said to my brother is like Moses and Aaron so off we go when we arrived there him was just return from hospital.It seems they have told him about us coming to pray for him and when we enters his house he looks at us and laugh and is when i heard a voice said take some water pray for that water and him and give him that water to drink and i did.First i said they must not close tbeir eyes as i pray to see changes happen to him as God heel him while i pray for him and aftrer a pray everyone in the house laugh and i knew something happen because i feld some power realesed from me.He stood up and said i must pray for him tohave children than i said to him let him get better there is nothing stoping him from getting children but he was sick to have them.After a day they came to us and told us that their uncle is totally heald and we all praised God and he have kids now.That was one of the miracle God did by using me but i was unaware of the gift God had given me and i sometime cry alone when i see people who needs prayers to get heald and help bein taken for granted.Please pray for me as sometime i feel as if God has distance Himself from me.

5. Muriel Trefry

Thank you for this word. It really encouraged me after two big disappointments. Even though we walk with the Lord and know He cares deeply for us disappointment can come and try to steal our joy. So again thank you for this word and the reminder that He is there and He is listening.

6. Nyani

I would like you to pray for my fiance as he is leading the Ministry. He is going through financial constraints but coping in those cicurmstances b/c he does revivals in different towns of the Eastern Cape in South Africa. God is delivering His people big time. People get saved and serve God.

7. T

I am new to your ministry.

Just recently, for two days I could not stop crying/praying. Thank you for this message, it has so ministered to my heart. I love HIM so much!!! I KNOW He has heard my every cry.

Please pray for the healing & deliverance of my husband’s backsliding and the restoration of our marriage.

8. Stacie

Hello Helen-your posts are always eloquently written, timely and full of God’s grace! Thanks for all you do, in Jesus’ name. All love, Stacie Sutton

9. Wanda

God bless you and your family. Every message you send is very very encouraging. The Holy spirit has given me to pray and decree…it is finish!. I am not sure if that would be considered a tipping point but these prayers has been powerful. You are on it women of God….I have been enjoying God presence and he is breaking strong holds in my life ..

10. Chrissie

I am at a crossroads in my life and prayed this morning ask God for a sign in the deepest of the depths and the highest of the heights that He has heard my cry. Then I came to read the blog post – When your cry goes up heaven comes down – which I had saved from yesterday, because I felt I would need a block of time to soak in what I anticipated would be a timely prophetic word based on the title.

It was certainly a word in season for me and my situation.

I am glad for the inspiration that this message has kindled in my heart. I wait on the Lord in hope and my prayer is that my tears, tribulations and aspirations will find solace and answers. Amen

11. karen

pray for my healing.,physically and emotionally and pray for cAreer opportunity to me in which i have been long for the country to go and work.pray also for blessing of opportunities to succee.

12. Ria

Dear Enliven,
    Your message is a wake-up call to me. I repent before the Father today that I haven’t prayed this way in a very long time. Thank you. God bless your ministry.