8 Signs You May Have a Gift of Prophecy

How do you know if you have a gift of prophecy?

It is common for people who are in the early stages of developing a prophetic gift to experience uncertainty and questions. If you can relate to this, the following list of signs will encourage you to keep moving forward and develop your gift of prophecy:

8 Signs You May Have a Prophetic Gift

1. You Desire a Close Relationship with God

Prophetic insights are sourced in an intimate relationship with God—His Presence is where you hear His voice and receive revelation from Him.

So one sign you have a prophetic gift is that you are not satisfied with a shallow relationship—you want to be close to Him.

That is because God has called you to be one who hears the whispers of what is on His heart—to learn what His intention is and pass it on to others. (John 13:23-25)

2. You Want to Learn About Prophecy

‘Follow the way of love and eagerly desire gifts of the Spirit, especially prophecy.’ (1 Cor 14:1).

A hunger or longing for a gift can be from the Holy Spirit, as He is drawing you towards God’s purpose for your life.

This is the hidden stage of a gift—where very few people, except those who are close enough to know the desires of your heart, are aware that you have the ability. But God knows—He has placed that desire within you because He is drawing you towards your destiny. ‘Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart’ (Psalm 37:4)

3. You Tend to Pray Prophetically

A gift of prophecy often shows up in prayer before it manifests in other ways.

• You find yourself praying something spontaneously that you hadn’t thought of—and you realise the Holy Spirit has led you
  • You are praying for another person or situation—and you get feedback that what you prayed for was exactly what was needed
  • You discover God has given you knowledge in prayer that you could not know by natural means

Prophetic prayer is powerful—because you are praying according to God’s purposes. As 1 John 5:14-15 says, ‘This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him.’

4. You Have Had Confirmation that you Accurately Hear from God

A sign that you have a gift of prophecy is that you build up a track record of hearing from God accurately. For example:

• People you have prayed for, or shared prophetic encouragement with, have given you feedback that your prophetic insight was spot on
  • You have found yourself thinking about a Scripture or message—and then your Pastor or another person shared the same one
  • You have journaled something you believe God is saying—and it has come to pass

Very often these kinds of confirmations are private—this is the Holy Spirit giving you are nudge to explore your prophetic gift further.

5. People Have Been Helped by Prophetic Insights You have Shared

Accuracy alone is not a sign you have a gift—in the Bible, a spiritual gift must be exercised in love and bear good fruit that honours God (1 Cor 13, 14).

The Apostle Paul said, ‘the one who prophesies speaks to people for their strengthening, encouraging and comfort… the one who prophesies edifies the church.’ (1 Cor 14:3, 4b)

So important questions to ask are:

• ‘Have people been helped, encouraged, strengthened and comforted by the prophetic insights I have shared?
  • ‘Has the church been built up?’

The sign of a prophetic gift is that people are helped and drawn closer to God by what you have heard from God and shared.

6. You Find Yourself in Circumstances Where a Word from God is Needed

One sign of a prophetic gift is that God engineers circumstances to gently push you into needing to hear from Him. You find yourself in a place where you need to respond and act on what you hear. For example:

• Someone you are praying with needs a word of encouragement from God, or
  • You have some personal circumstances where prophetic guidance is necessary

7. You Have Prophetic Values

Here are some core values that those who have a gift of prophecy tend to have in common:

• A love for God’s Presence
  • A high value on hearing God’s voice and the prophetic gift and ministry
  • A passion about God’s prophetic promises
  • A love for holiness and justice and the righteous standard of God’s Word

You may wonder why other people don’t see things the same way as you do—but the reason is, God has placed prophetic values in your DNA. It’s how He has designed you.

8. You Have Been Through a Trial in Relation to Your Gift of Prophecy

A pattern we see in Scripture is that someone who has a ministry calling goes through a trial, or a failure, or what we might call a ‘wilderness experience’ in relation to their gifts. So if you have had difficulties, or you have felt shut down in the area of prophecy, be encouraged. This may well be a sign you are gifted and called in prophecy.

God has an end in mind. Don’t let the enemy hook you to a past experience through hurt or disappointment. Remember Proverbs 4:23 says, ‘Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.’

Do whatever it takes, forgive others and yourself; keep your heart free to move on, pick up your prophetic gift once more, because God is coming through for you.

Can you identify some signs that you have a prophetic gift? Leave a message in the comments section to let us know which ones you relate to. If the comments box is not visible, click on this link and scroll down.

What to read next:

How to develop your prophetic gift: where to begin
Taking the pressure off when you are growing in prophecy

Grow Your Prophetic and Prayer Gifts

Prophetic and Prayer GiftsIf you are feeling stuck, or have undergone hardship in relation to your prophetic or prayer gift, this book will encourage you and provide you with keys to move forward in developing your gift.

In Grow Your Prophetic And Prayer Gifts, you will discover the six phases of development of prophetic and prayer gifts from desire and birth through to maturity.

This book includes practical tools and the information you need to develop a plan for the next stage of growth in your spiritual gift.

(124 pages. Available for download in either PDF or ePub formats)

If you recognize signs you may have a gift of prophecy, Grow Your Prophetic And Prayer Gifts is written to help you grow in your prophetic gifts and break through stuck places – at whatever stage or season you are on the journey. Visit our eStore for this eBook and more resources to empower you in your gifts and ministry.

© Helen Calder Enliven Blog – Prophetic Teaching
A part of the David McCracken Ministries family

235 thoughts on “8 Signs You May Have a Gift of Prophecy

1. Robert

this course is great because I am beginning to see and understand why the dreams visions attacks trails failures etc but I thank God for you and your family please teach more people the heart of Father, God bless your ministry it is well

2. Jesright Solomon Jegede

Number 1-8 relates to me except number 2. This article has really encouraged me to press deeper. Thanks alot

3. Jesright Solomon Jegede

Number 1-8 relates to me except number 2. This article has really encouraged me to press deeper. But with these gifts, I still find myself struggling with negative habits. How do I go about it? Thanks.

4. Danielle

I dream. I just came out of my “wilderness” and this past week, one of my dreams came true. The first time this happened to me, I was in the 6th grade. The dreams have been simple, but when they start to come to pass, I KNOW.

5. Jamie

Well I can almost relate to all of the above ,I just need for my gift to be activated ,it seems sometimes like I can’t do it ,pray my strength in the lord.

6. Kelley Brake

Praise God for this confirmation. I’m in my wilderness journey approaching a new season of understanding. The Holy Spirit lit me on fire in July 2017 and I’ve been “nudged” so much that I wondered what was going on. I’ve been striving to TRUST the Holy Spirit in all this, but it can be intimidating. Lights flicker around me when I talk about the Holy Spirit. My prayer language wants to leap out at times and I can’t hardly stop it. I’m constantly praying for others and get nudged and woke up at 3 a.m. to pray for others. I was praying in tongues faithfully for a while each day, but it’s difficult to get private time at home to be faithful in that area right now. Thank you for helping me understand this gift better. God bless you!

7. Nanci hutchison

Please help. All I ever wanted was to hear God’s voice. I received a manifestion from the Lord
    15 years ago for restoration of my family. The Holy Spirit told me many things. He told that the enemy would try very hard to take this promise away because he was afraid of the work I would do. Please someone help me. My Pastor has been with me daily.

8. dinah dlamini

everytime i pray for this man the smaller voice inside me will start to tell me that he will broke up with his wife and marries me, pictures of a baby boy will appear on my face

9. Obinna

I prayed and prophesied that my brother will marry between January 1st and easther and it came to pass

10. jennifer wilson

Thank you so much for your teaching I can relate to all , I have even written some things that the Most High has shown to me and seen them come to past.# 8 I really need to work on to guard my heart. Thank you again .Yah bless you

11. Jonni

I’ve been seeing living people (who re not there). I see them as plain as day but, find out later they were never there. Again, these are not dead people but real living people’s spirit. I spoke with my former Pastor, who now lives in another state and he says “don’t be afraid, God is elevating you.” Also, I was in the supermarket shopping one day and, it appeared that as I was shopping, I was walking and do8ng something somewhere else. This scared me so, I began to cry. I do pray for God to make things clear for me to understand what is happening with me. There is much more but I can’t tell it all. Bless you.

12. Ruby Ann

All glory, praise and highest thanksgiving to our great and Living God.. i experienced and done everything that has been said.. Thank youfor being a vessel of HIS honor.. God bless you more

13. Chichi

I’ve never wanted to do something with the prophetic before i just love it I love the connection between God and his child when prophecy occurs . Does mental attack have to do with #8?

14. Michael

There is a troubling time ahead please all of you pray contstantly for the souls that will be taken.

15. Troy

Numbers 1,2,3,4,7,8 all apply to my experience. Thank you very much for this teaching. This gift really requires a high level of faith because I’ve found the enemy will consistently attack me with doubt after I have released something prophetic. These counter attacks drive me into God’s presence to confirm that I am speaking His heart in His timing because I do not want to speak from my own heart and miss what He is saying. Content and timing are important. It is one thing to experience spiritual amd human backlash when we are in the will of God. But I want to avoid the backlash that comes from being out of step with the Holy Spirit. I am still learning how to discern His voice and I am seeking Him concerning when to release something. It is an exciting journey and I feel honoured to be invited into this ministry but it comes with challenges, not the least being to nurture the fear of the Lord over the fear of man. Thanks again and God bless!

16. Bondo

I wonder about things that happens since I was young, what I dream at night during the days I happens exactly, I used to dream that in times of storm am the one to resque people by telling them to live in right places where the storm will not reach, I also dream that someone eldel man is sendind me some where grounds full if people,I also heard people pastor even when am praying soccer with my fellow young , when I drunk ,, people tell me that am not supposed to drink,,, and so many things

17. Albertina

I always have dreams and they come to pass, but recently ive been dreaming but dont remember my dreams anymore.

1. Kiki

I dream a lot as well. This couple weeks it became hard to remember my dreams. Strange eh? Hope it won’t continue thia way

18. Tobeka

This makes a very good sense now. Only today that I was having a clear question to God about my behaviour and experiences. I am answered.I relate very well to this explanation. I thank God for His love and the Holy Spirit for leading me to this fulfilling revelation, I will sleep peacefully knowing that God is with me very step of the way to realising what is unknown to me. Thanks for the insight, May God bless you.

19. Greg

I continue to marvel at God’s love and compassion. I’m not sure if example is a prophetic sign or not, but it has the fingerprint of God all over it.
    On May 10, 2018 I felt led to post a word of encouragement involving coming boldly before God’s throne with shameless audacity (Luke 11:8), knowing its nothing in our own right and not in a haughty way, but with a humble and grateful heart, knowing the veil of the temple has been torn in two, providing full access to the Holy of Holies, before the very throne of Almighty God.
    On May 16, 2018 I felt led to post a word of encouragement involving when the circumstances of life seem insurmountable, remember and declare, that this is an opportunity that I will not forfeit in allowing God to move on my behalf, as I cry out to Him in my day of trouble, this circumstance that I’m facing stands no chance against the living God.
    On May 23, 2018 my wife was informed that due to corporate restructuring, she would lose her position as director of laboratory services. This would mean she would have to begin searching for employment (for a very unique skill set), which would also mean relocating. I would also have to quit my job, sell our home, and find a moving company on very short notice to avoid hardship.
    I felt compelled to write down the following, and then I prayed a very specific prayer: “Lord, I ask for nothing short of a miracle…May we find employment, sell our home, and lock-in a moving company all within a week of this day.”
    Audacious…yes; in the natural those requests being answered within a week were realistically improbable, but nothing is impossible with God.
    I give all the glory to God and I’m grateful to report that everything miraculously fell into place that week. My wife received a director’s position far exceeding expectations, a cash-buyer loved our home and sign a contract for full list price, and we locked-in a moving company on short notice that just happened to be available the week we needed them.

He is faithful!

20. Carole Neve

These apply to me from your article:
    A love for God’s Presence
    A high value on hearing God’s voice and the prophetic gift and ministry
    A passion about God’s prophetic promises
    A love for holiness and justice and the righteous standard of God’s Word

21. Cody

I’ve been having a sense that I’m prophetic. All of the discriptions are uncanny for me. I seem to predict sermons. Once I had a friend going through a hard time and I spoke to him of God’s promises and asked him to come to church with me. He came and he almost had to walk out because he was being consumed with tears. We were both in awe that my pastor spoke alot same words in his sermon. I feel like there’s something that I’m supposed to warn this world about to be honest (don’t know exactly what it is yet). I’ve gotten shared insight with my mentor in ministry. Some people think that I’m obsessed with getting to know God. I’ve shared encouraging words with another friend to find out his pastor told him the same. I’m trying to learn more from our leaders at my church but there’s always a door closed for some reason. I’ve had supernatural overwhelming physical feelings of God’s presence (I’m in complete solace and I cry my eyes out from the love) I get clear visions from meditating ( the way that I know it’s authenticated from God is that it’s never what I would want to hear or see). I can feel and sense spiritually war. It’s scary. I can feel when angels are there and I can feel demonic forces even better. I’m always under attack. I’m not trying to be arrogant… but I honestly feel like the enemy is scared and threatened by me. I always feel the target on my back.

22. Tugume patrick

Thanks so much for this values I have seen them in my life, I love prophesy, I have received two dream one a person said to me that I should prophesy another one a person said am a prophet my challenge is how do I go about it

23. Nakia

I relate to all 8. And especially Number 8. Which has been why I felt like maybe this is Not my gift. I’ve been also told that I have the gift of healing and impartation. I don’t even know what that means.