Your Spiritual Keys of Authority and How to Use Them

Over the past week, the Holy Spirit has been speaking to me about spiritual keys that unlock God’s purposes in the natural realm.

Is there a situation you are faced with right now, where there is an obstacle, problem or issue that stands in the way of God’s purpose for your life and that of others?

The Bible has great news! You are not powerless. You are not helpless. You have Heavenly keys of authority to enforce your Father’s purposes.

Keys Represent Your Authority

Take a moment to think about your physical set of keys, if you have one. What is on it? My own key ring includes a house key, car key and office keys.

• The keys in your possession represent a right and privilege that you have. They enable you to enter through a doorway, into a secure area that others cannot go through.

Your keys represent your ownership, your authority, and your right of access.

Spiritual Keys of Authority and Power

Spiritual Keys of the Kingdom “These are the words of him who is holy and true, who holds the key of David. What he opens no one can shut, and what he shuts no one can open.” (Rev 3:7)

In the Bible—especially in the New Testament—keys are symbolic of authority and power. [1] Keys are a metaphor for spiritual authority.

When Jesus rose from the dead, He declared, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth.” (Matt 28:18) [2]

Jesus has all authority; He is the ultimate key-holder. (Rev 1:17-18) And, He gives us His keys of authority and says, “Use these keys in My Name.” (Matt 16:19)

These keys are your right—in any given moment—to release God’s power, so that God’s will is accomplished.

Just as a key is useless when we neglect to use it, or forget what it is for, you can have Kingdom authority available to you, but never use it.

Keys (Authority) to Enter Doors of Opportunity

‘I know your deeds. See, I have placed before you an open door that no one can shut.’ (Rev 3:8)

In the New Testament, Paul uses the imagery of open and closed doors to speak of opportunities to minister the Gospel. (Col 4:3, 2 Cor 2:12-13)

• An ‘open door’ is a metaphor for an opportunity and access—whereas a ‘closed door’ means that access to something is currently being denied or blocked.

When God has given you a promise or a directive, you can be sure that He has given you keys of authority to enter that domain.

Keys (Authority) to Permit or Forbid

“I will give you the keys (authority) of the kingdom of heaven; and whatever you bind [forbid, declare to be improper and unlawful] on earth will have [already] been bound in heaven, and whatever you loose [permit, declare lawful] on earth will have [already] been loosed in heaven.” (Matt 16:19, AMP)

In order to use the keys of the Kingdom of God, we must comprehend that our Father has called us to partner with Him to enforce His will on earth.

• The Kingdom is the rule of God. It is His Divine government. [3]

Simply, God has delegated His authority to you, to allow or disallow what He is allowing and disallowing.

Is there something you allowing right now, and the Holy Spirit is putting His finger on it and saying, ‘That is not My will and you do not have to give that thing permission to operate’?

Remember, you do not have to use the terms ‘binding and loosing’ in order to exercise your authority—the words or phrases themselves are not a formula that holds power.

Keys (Authority) to Set Captives Free

‘He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to set the oppressed free…’ (Luke 4:18b)

No power, and no door that holds someone captive, whether physical or spiritual, can stand against the keys of Heaven.

In the context of spiritual warfare, ‘binding’ refers to the authority we have to command a demonic influence to stop or cease activity, or to leave, in Jesus’ Name.

‘Loosing’ has to do with what we are permitting and releasing, in Jesus’ Name. (Matt 16:19, Matt 12:29)

We can also loose a person from a demonic bondage or sickness. (Luke 13:16)

Kingdom keys are primarily held and used through our mouths.

We use physical keys to access our property by taking those keys in our hands and inserting them into a lock. However, spiritual keys are primarily used in our mouths.

Keys turn and doors are unlocked as we make declarations and prophetic decrees.

Our words, in agreement with God’s Word, release power. Here are 4 more ways you can use your keys of Kingdom authority:

1. Use Your Keys in Prayer

God opens doors in answer to prayer. The Apostle Paul asked the church to pray:

‘And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains.’ (Col 4:3)

In Acts 12, Peter was imprisoned and the church was praying. Peter walked out of prison as an angel released him from chains and opened the doors of the dungeon.

Doors of impossibility will open as you pray.

Angels will be sent on assignment with keys to unlock situations and release Heavenly resources in answer to your prayer.

2. Use Your Keys as you Praise

As Paul and Silas sang hymns the prison chains came loose and the doors flew open. That which was secured and locked, was suddenly unlocked! (Acts 16) God answered Paul and Silas with an earthquake that opened prison doors.

When God says, ‘I will deliver you!’ no door or wall can stand before Him. Keys of praise used in the spiritual realm open doors in the natural realm.

3. Use the Name of Jesus—the Master Key

The Name of Jesus is the master key that unlocks doors and enables you to enter the realm of the miraculous. In that moment of exercising Kingdom authority, you are Jesus’ representative.

• Captives are set free in Jesus’ Name. (Acts 16:18)
  • Sick are healed in Jesus’ Name. (Acts 3:6, 4:30)

When we pray or minister in the Name of Jesus, we are not exercising authority in our own name, but in the Name that is above every name.

4. Use Your Keys in Acts of Obedience

Speaking in agreement with God is powerful. However, obedience also opens doors.

God spoke to Philip through an angel, telling him “Arise and go toward the south along the road which goes down from Jerusalem to Gaza.” (Acts 8:26) That obedience positioned him to be at the right place at the right time to share the Gospel with an influential man from Ethiopia.

Philip did not know why God gave the instruction—he simply obeyed. And that obedience was a key that opened a door of influence.

Your obedient action, taken in response to hearing God’s voice will give you access into the future God has for you.

Doors will open and obstacles will be removed as you step out at God’s command.

Related Posts:

The Power of Your Prophetic Decree

That Closed Door Could be a Heavenly Redirection

[1] Thayer’s definition of the Greek word for key, kleis (Strongs G2807) states: 1. a key  / a. since the keeper of the keys has the power to open and to shut / b. metaph. In the NT to denote power and authority of various kinds:

[2] The Greek word translated ‘authority’ is exousia. G1849 Strongs.

[3] The Greek word translated Kingdom is basileia, Strongs ref G932, referring to the kingship and rule of God.

How is God leading you to use your keys of spiritual authority at this time? I would love to hear about it in the blog comments section, or on Facebook or Instagram. If the blog comments box is not visible, click on this link and scroll down.

© Helen Calder Enliven Blog – Prophetic Teaching

On team with David McCracken Ministries: Prophetic Ministry That Empowers The Church

28 thoughts on “Your Spiritual Keys of Authority and How to Use Them

1. Tania Harris

This came at the perfect time. God said to me recently – I have given you the keys – and I have started using them… Just this week, I realised I needed to meditate on this more and now you’ve given me a framework to do so. Thank you Helen!

Hi Tania, that’s awesome! Thank you for letting me know.
      The reason I did this study is because God spoke to me about keys last week in some challenges I’ve been going through. Digging into this study has been faith-building for me. It’s also increased my boldness in prayer, very timely.
      Have a great week, Tania!

2. Mary K.

Some days back I read in the news that a law has been passed to legalize beastiality in Canada. On reading this I felt a sadness in the spirit and at that point, I thought there isn’t much one can do about that. But then a flicker of hope arouse in my heart and I simply prayed to God that every one who voted for this law should immediaedly begin to refute that and let the law be reversed instantly. I do not know how the law stands at the moment, but I felt a peace and a release in my spirit. It is not until reading your post now that I realize that what I did was using my keys of authority to disallow something against the will of God.
    Thank you.

Hello, Mary, that is sad about the Canadian laws… and yes, a great example of exercising the keys of authority in prayer. Thank you for sharing your experience with us

3. jose ramos

profeta Helen,en el pasado hubo en mi Ministerio profetico apostolico,sanidades,milagros,y ocasionalmente liberaciones.Hoy,a pesar de buscar al Señor intensamente,ellos se han alejado,y cuando ministro sanidad,no sucede nada.A pesar de usar llaves como la oracion,el nombre de Jesus,y la alabanza.PERO,SIGO ESCUCHANDO LA VOZ DEL ESPIRITU SANTO DECIRME:!ESPERA JOSE!,ESPERA. Saludos desde Mexico,le ruego sus oraciones por mi pais,oro por usted y su familia.

4. Michael

Hi Helen I have a question for you and it has nothing to do with this article.
    My question is- can you point me to someone or possibly refer some reading material to me that would help me understand what the heck is going on with me. What I mean by that is I have been experiencing things, on a spiritual level, I can’t explain. I have seen,smelled, and heard things. I have had many very very powerful dreams/nightmares most of them with demons who were trying to posses me. But my last nightmare with demons in it the demons were after a lady and her young son and I ran in to shut the door on the demons safeguarding the lady and her son. One of the demons got right in my face and called me something, I can’t remember what, but he said to the other demons while he was still in my face ” oh look it’s a _ ” . That was the very first time I didn’t wake up scared out of my mind. And I havent had a nightmare since.
    Objects have moved in my presence when I was the only one in the room. I see something moving out of my right peripheral vision. It doesn’t have a shape. It’s like heat waves that move from right to left. I actually confronted this entity (heat waves) in a dream. He held me down without touching me, and never seeing him, and I yelled at him to leave me alone and he told me without saying a word “I am here to help you” then he let me go. And I just somehow new it is the entity (heatwaves) I keep seeing. Anyway I have a lot of questions but nobody seems to know. I have spoken to someone in the Catholic church but he obviously didn’t care much. Not sure he believed me. I would very much appreciate any insight You may have.
    Thank you Helen!!

Hello Michael, it is certainly better if you can get some personal help with this – are you currently attending a church?
      I teach and minister from a Christian perspective, and encourage my readers to be based in, and seek help from, a church where there is a healthy, Biblical viewpoint (and some practical help) with these issues.

1. Michael

Hi Helen thanks for the reply.
        I’m not currently attending a church. I’m currently working in California but my home is Oregon and I’m not sure how to go about picking the right church with so many churches expressing so many different viewpoints on the Bible.
        Like I mentioned I sought help from someone in the Catholic Church where they completely dismissed my story. I guess I’m concerned that is going to happen regardless of the church I pick.
        It’s hard to find someone who will listen,believe, and help me.
        Thank you for your time Helen!!

Hi Michael, I do believe there are churches where you will receive help and encouragement in this area, so don’t give up! I pray God will direct you to the individuals / church where you will find empowerment.

5. joseph kaoma

hello , i need your prayer and advise .every time i work hard ,expecting something good to happen , what happens is confusion ,delay or cancellation of the contract .i do not know what to do

6. rich lippai

Hi Helen:

You never mentioned hearing loud music and demon voices 24/7.Very little sleep and they try to wake me up in the middle of the night and every morning they start carrying on.This first started after a four hour hearing surgery,i woke in the recovery room hearing loud military music and after a week started hearing inner voices and these are demons suggesting suicide,cut my throat and trying to take control of my mind .I have been battling them eight months and will not give them any authority.The word of God has carried me all the way.The voices again are inside hearing and they are always trying to make me do what they say.I have no private life because see and hear and read every thought out loud i can think of.I have thrown them all out and i believe there is an open channel and prayer has not yet revealed to me on how to stop it all together.They mock and curse God and the blood of Christ. I need more peace and my private life back.If you are getting washed they see every move i make.I have not been able to find a deliverance ministry to double check everything out.Need some help and advice now

7. david

Thanks again and again for this spiritual insight may His grace Greece you cotinually.
    David, Nigeria

8. K. Camille Cleare

Good day Helen,
    Perhaps you can direct those persons experiencing demonic attacks to books that can help; because people are reaching out to you for some spiritual refuge. There are so may excellent deliverance books that can certainly help folks expose and dismantle the enemy. The truth will set the captives free!

9. Samuel

Hello, Helen, I stumbled on your article as I am studying the Keys to the Kindom. Theses keys are our weapons of our warfare.
    Thank you for shining some more light. Blessings

1. James Andrew

Thanks Helen. In my current understanding, for those practitioners working in secular environment, it looks nearly impossible to tell other people (even in Church) about this Key ownership as to get their buy-in for preaching. Then, what do you think about this?

10. Sam

Hi Helen, i am blessed already by this post. I would like to know if this keys are exhaustive. For instance, is the key for healing accessed through the key use in praise or prayer, or there is a definite key with which we access healing. Thank you.

Hello Sam!
      Your question reminded me of the most important key of all – and that is intimacy with God and hearing His instruction.
      There are many important keys and Biblical principles. Ultimately its being responsive to what God is saying in the moment that is the one that releases His power.
      For example, Jesus healed in many different ways – He said, ‘the Son does what He sees the Father doing’

11. Christy

About 8 years ago during praise and worship at my last Church, i saw in the Spirit a red key descend from Heaven, and given to me, i have never understood how God wants me to use this, maybe you can give me some insight, i want to please God, and take advantage of what he has given me, im just at a loss, please feel free to contact me, thank you so much! Christy!

Hello Christy! Usually (when God’s speaking to me personally) I find that red symbolises the blood of Jesus and His salvation. So a red key, is everything God is giving you access to through Jesus’ shed blood – all your inheritance available to you through salvation as a daughter of God. Hope that helps! 🙂

1. christy

Thank you so much for getting back to me, i have prayed and asked God to show me how he needs me to use it, i want to take full advantage of what God has planned out for me, will you pray for me? Also, me and my husband have been trying to conceive for 7 years, he has had a vasectomy, but that does not matter to us, our faith is great, and God spoke to me about 8 years ago( while praying to get pregnat) to trust him, and wait on him, we have seen several visions recently, we think it may be close, the last vision was the other nite while asking God how much longer, i saw two shot glasses, with hot pink drinks in them, i would love your feedback, God bless you for getting back to me, to take the time out for someone you do not know, take care, Christy!

12. Akin

Hello Helen,
    It happened Twice in a week last year while praying keys were handed to my hands and I collected the keys, and I have never understood how to use or how God wants me to use the keys, and it’s become a concern for me, maybe you can give me help, cos He told me to be a shoe maker years back and I have been doing it, but I’m yet to experience the supernatural in the business, cos I know “faithful is he that calleth” i want to take advantage of what he has given me and I want to do exploits!

13. Dingaan

HI Helen: I am praying earnestly for a job,that I already attended an interview,we were three and to date no one has been called to resume duty.Daily I declare the heavens to favour me ,what keeps me going is the hope and faith I have in God. Secondly we are operating a business partnership (all of us are born again). The product we are selling is the best in the market,people love it but we are not making progress,please utter a prophetic word on my life and business.God bless