- You require financial provision to sustain God’s work? The Holy Spirit stirs someone to give—right on time
- You need a new job? The Holy Spirit brings you to the attention of an employer and you sense God has given you favour
- An unbeliever—someone from another faith, someone you would least expect—is brought to faith in Jesus
- Someone who has stood against you, withdraws their opposition
- A person or group offers to help you when you most need it
For years, we have quoted it, sung it, and celebrated it: ‘Not by might, nor by power but by My Spirit’ says the Lord Almighty.’ (Zech 4:6)
However, today I believe God is highlighting this passage in its Biblical context, in order to give us a greater insight into the way that the Holy Spirit moves for the accomplishment of God’s plans.
How the Holy Spirit Moves so that God’s Work is Brought to Fruition
To understand what Zechariah is referring to, we need to go back to the book of Ezra, when it is on God’s timetable to rebuild the temple in Jerusalem. The first temple had been destroyed following the Babylonian invasion.
Notice the specific language the Bible uses, to describe how the Holy Spirit moves as God’s plan to rebuild the temple is set in motion:
- ‘…in order to fulfill the word of the Lord spoken by Jeremiah, the Lord moved the heart of Cyrus king of Persia (Ezra 1:1)
- Then… everyone whose heart God had moved—prepared to go up and build the house of the Lord in Jerusalem (Ezra 1:5)
After this enthusiastic start, the foundations of the new temple are laid. However, the enemy moves in and the project is frustrated and delayed. 17 years go by. And then, God speaks through His prophets—Haggai and Zechariah.
‘It’s time to begin building again!’
The Divine Imprint on the Human Heart
Haggai tells us, ‘So the LORD stirred up the spirit of Zerubbabel the son of Shealtiel, governor of Judah, and the spirit of Joshua the son of Jehozadak, the high priest, and the spirit of all the remnant of the people; and they came and worked on the house of the LORD of hosts, their God.’ (Haggai 1:14)
Why do the people respond with hard work and enthusiasm?
- It is not only because they hear the prophecy and think, ‘We should obey God’
- It is not only because they are following their leaders’ instructions—although the Holy Spirit is using both of these things.
The people step up to complete the work because the Holy Spirit is stirring their hearts.
And there is more.
Mountains of Opposition are Removed
After years of political opposition, the leaders of Judah receive an edict from the now-King of Assyria. Amazingly, God has moved upon the heart of pagan King Darius to order the completion of the temple and to give generously.
- With one sweep of the hand of God, the mountain of opposition referred to by the Prophet Zechariah is removed. The work continues to progress until it is completed. (Zech 4:7)
At the conclusion of the project, Ezra notes, ‘They celebrated with joy… because the LORD had filled them with joy by changing the attitude of the king of Assyria, so that he assisted them in the work on the house of God, the God of Israel.’(Ezra 6:22)
Partner with the Spirit Through Prayer
When God says, “It’s not by might, it’s not by power, it’s by My Spirit”, it highlights how the Spirit does His work.
The Spirit is at work moving the hearts—and intentions—of people.
God impacts people’s hearts for favour, for open doors, for Divine positioning, for salvation, for the release of labour and resources.
The Holy Spirit moves by stirring the hearts of people—beginning with our own.
Are you available for the Holy Spirit to stir you today? I believe God wants to bring you a fresh word that will open you to the move of the Holy Spirit.
- It’s time for your faith to rise!
- It’s time to lift your expectations!
- It’s time to turn again to prayer!
It is through prayer that we partner with the Holy Spirit as He works on the unseen—the hearts, attitudes and motivations of people.
That brick wall, or that closed door, or that mountain of impossibility. Nothing can withstand the move of the Holy Spirit. And I believe this is God’s word to you today; that you are going to be amazed as you see people moved upon by the Spirit.
Right now, God is at work in the hearts of unbelievers to draw them to Jesus.
The Spirit is at work, influencing secular leaders in positions of authority, so that the Father’s work and will is accomplished.
Projects initiated by God will be completed as the Holy Spirit moves on hearts to respond and give.
What is difficult for you, indeed, what is impossible for you, is easy to our God. For it is not by might, nor by power, but by His Spirit that His purpose for your life and ministry will be accomplished.
I have recently been writing a series of prophetic studies from the story of Ezra, Zerubbabel, and the rebuilding of the temple. The other studies are:
Has this article spoken to you? Do you have a testimony to share, or prayer request? Leave a comment in the comments box – if it is not visible, click on this link and scroll down.
© 2014 Helen Calder Enliven Blog – Prophetic Teaching