However, for those of us who desire to grow in the gift of prophecy—especially if God calls us to prophetic ministry as a primary focus—there are some good reasons as to why we should invest in the growth of our prophetic gift.
Why Develop Your Prophetic Gift?
1. God Requires Us to Steward our Gifts
‘Do not neglect your gift, which was given you through prophecy when the body of elders laid their hands on you. Be diligent in these matters; give yourself wholly to them, so that everyone may see your progress.’ (1 Tim 4:14-15)
Growing in the spiritual gifts God has given to us is not just a good idea—it is something required of us.
With the gift, comes a responsibility.
And just as Paul exhorts Timothy to be diligent in paying attention to and progressing in the gift and calling on his life, so should we be intentional about stewarding our own gifts and calling.
2. In Prophecy, we Partner with the Holy Spirit
The Holy Spirit is the source of prophetic revelation. However He requires our partnership in order to share those insights with others.
It is an amazing thing that God entrusts His gifts and abilities to human vessels.
Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms. (1 Peter 4:10)
Whilst the gift is from God, we play our role in administering it.
By growing in our side of the partnership, we can reflect our Father’s heart, His ways and His intent in our operation of prophecy, with increasing accuracy.
3. Attributes that are Vital to Prophetic Ministry are Developed Through our Choice
‘In a large house there are articles not only of gold and silver, but also of wood and clay; some are for special purposes and some for common use. Those who cleanse themselves from the latter will be instruments for special purposes, made holy, useful to the Master and prepared to do any good work.’ (2 Tim 2:20-21)
Some attributes that we need to be ‘prepared’ in for prophetic ministry include:
- Godly character, so we can honour Jesus in the use of our gift with integrity
- Wisdom, so that we know how to operate in the gift in such a manner that it benefits people as God intended
- Intimacy with God so that our gift is anointed by His Presence—and so that we hear God’s voice clearly
4. More People Will be Encouraged and Drawn to Jesus Through our Gift
As we develop and grow in our gift and character, God can entrust more prophetic insights and revelation to us—and more ministry to people.
As a result, we have more opportunities to encourage others through our gift and the church will be built up:
‘But the one who prophesies speaks to people for their strengthening, encouraging and comfort… the one who prophesies edifies the church.’ (1 Cor 14:3, 4b)
5. There are Practical Skills that can Help us in the Use of Prophecy
Our gift of prophecy will benefit by growth in the following areas:
- Developing Scripture knowledge, so that we can weigh up revelation against the Bible and understand the basics of Biblical symbolism when moving in prophetic pictures, visions and dreams.
- Any practical skills that relate to the use of our gift (this varies according to the arena He calls us to, for example, ministering at an altar in prophecy, prophetic song, writing and painting require different styles of communicating and skills).
- The art of communicating so that we share what is on God’s heart with clarity and in a manner that reflects Him.
6. There is More! Our Prophetic Gift will Grow When we Invest Time into Developing it
A spiritual gift does not suddenly appear in our lives or ministries fully developed. There is always a process in which God trains and prepares us to grow in the use of that gift.
It is our responsibility to cooperate with this process, and be good stewards of the gifts, talents and abilities He gives us. This includes the gift of prophecy.
In the ‘parable of the talents,’ Jesus told a story about a master who gave money to each of three servants—He commended those who invested their money for a greater return, and admonished the one who buried his money out of fear. (Matt 25:14-30)
Multiplication and growth in our gifts, character and ministry honours God. Let us be like Timothy, and the wise and faithful servants, and invest in the prophetic gift God has given to us.
 See the article, ‘Can I Prophesy If I Do Not Have A Spiritual Gift Of Prophecy?’
Would you like to Develop your Prophetic Gift?
‘Grow Your Prophetic And Prayer Gifts’ is a high-value e-book specifically written to help you grow in your prophetic gifts – at whatever stage or season you are on the journey.
Check out our eStore for more e-books related to prophetic and prayer ministry.
© Helen Calder Enliven Blog – Prophetic Teaching
On team with David McCracken Ministries: Prophetic Ministry That Empowers The Church