Do you want to grow in the area of discernment and spiritual perception? There are three basic levels of discernment, and understanding these will not only help you grow in your spiritual gift of discernment, it will empower you to lead a supernatural life.
3 Levels of Discernment
1. Natural Perception
The first level of discernment is seeing on the surface. Anyone can see what is happening in the natural realm—and, everyone has their own opinion about what they see. As a result, there is a lot of negativity in the world today, as people express their viewpoints.
2. Having a Discernment Ability
Some people have an ability to discern beyond the surface of things:
- They are more tuned to the motives of people.
- They may be able to perceive the spiritual realm
- They are sensitive to atmospheres
- They may be able to discern the demonic realm
I frequently hear from people who have this second level of discernment, and who are having a difficult time knowing what to do about what they see.
3. Seeing as the Father Sees
Anyone can see what is happening in the natural realm. Some people may have the ability to see in the spiritual realm (and this is not always sourced in the Holy Spirit).
If you are a Christian, and your desire is to develop a spiritual gift of discernment, a third level of discernment is vital to you.
- And that is, to see as your Father is seeing.
When your ability to discern is submitted to the Holy Spirit and based in the Father’s love, it will truly be a gift. The fruit of your discernment will not be fear, suspicion, confusion or accusation. It will be life-giving. It will bring freedom and transformation. It will draw people to Jesus.
Jesus saw with the Father’s Eyes
The third level of discernment is only available to those who are walking in relationship with God.
We can be like Jesus, who looked beyond what could be seen with physical eyes, to what the Father was doing. He then spoke and acted accordingly.
‘Jesus gave them this answer: “Very truly I tell you, the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does.”’ (John 5:19)
In Luke 8, Jesus took the disciples on a visit to a place called the Gerasenes, where a demoniac man was living among the tombs.
- On the level of natural perception, people could see that the demoniac was crazy, out of his mind and dangerous
- Someone with discernment could see that his life was being controlled by demons
However, Jesus went not only with discernment. He went with the eyes, heart and mind of the Father. He saw a man afflicted with demons—but He also saw beyond that, to a worshiper, a disciple and an evangelist.
And what He saw, Father’s intention, is what took place. He set that man free and sent him on his way with the good news about what God had done.
The Power of Seeing What Father Sees
When our eyes are focused on what our Father is doing, our gift of discernment can grow to a powerful level. We can then act and speak accordingly—as Jesus did.
- Jesus was able to look at a tax collector sitting in his booth—a man seen by others as a cheat, a ‘shark’ and a tool of Rome—and see a disciple. He called Matthew into his destiny. (Matt 9:9)
- Jesus was able to go into a workplace where there was weariness and frustration and see that His Father was bringing a miracle supply. He spoke a word of command and as the fishermen responded to that word, a school of fish was thrust into the nets. (Luke 5:1-11)
- Jesus walked into a home where there was sickness and saw His Father bringing healing. He spoke the word and Peter’s mother in law rose up from her sick bed. (Matt 8:14-15)
‘Father, I want to know you more. Help me to see as You see, in every situation. Today, share Your desires, Your intentions with me.
Holy Spirit, empower me to discern, and to speak words of life that bring healing, freedom and transformation. Help me to become so tuned to what is on Your heart, that when people encounter me, they encounter Jesus.’
The gift of discernment of spirits is a powerful weapon in times of spiritual warfare, and can be of great assistance when ministering freedom to individuals. And yet many who have the gift of discernment have difficulty knowing what to do with what they are feeling or sensing.
‘Unlocking The Gift Of Discernment’ incorporates wisdom from Enliven Blog as well as additional valuable material on how to be protected as a discerner in times of spiritual warfare.
Note: All transactions are secure using PayPal and we do not pass your information on to third parties. Our store will convert to your currency.
© 2016 Helen Calder Enliven Blog – Prophetic Teaching