Today I would like to share about an important key to developing your spiritual gifts. This is one that I still find difficult personally on some occasions. However, I know that I would not be where I am today, if I had not grown in this area.
In every area of life, feedback from others is vitally needed, to help us grow and develop our gifts and skills. As it has been said, ‘Feedback is the breakfast of champions!’
This is also true concerning our spiritual gifts of prophecy and discernment.
If we do not know how to improve and sharpen our spiritual gifts—and the manner in which we use them—we will not reach our full potential.
- We receive advice concerning things that may be ‘blind spots’ to us
- We learn from the wisdom of others who are ahead of us on the journey
- Our ability to communicate clearly what God has spoken to us is sharpened
- It provides confirmation of our prophetic insight that benefits us and those we are ministering to
Through feedback, you can assess the degree to which your ministry is helpful. You can also ensure that there is no gap between what you have heard from God (regarding His heart and intention for a person and or situation) and what the person has actually perceived through your communication.
Feedback can come from
- A person you share a prophetic insight with
- A leader, pastor, or spiritual oversight in the situation you are ministering in
- A mentor or fellow team member
Following are three obstacles that can stand in the way of you benefiting from honest feedback concerning your ministry or an insight you have shared:
1. Fear of Disapproval
Exercising spiritual gifts is not a place for fragile egos. We need to be strong in our sense of Father God’s approval on our lives. When we stand confident in Whose we are and who we are, we can embrace whatever assistance we need to grow. People can provide feedback without the concern that we will get hurt or react badly to what they say.
2. Past Hurts that are still Affecting you
Past hurts can affect our ability to receive feedback if our viewpoint is coloured by an earlier rejection. This is especially true if we have been hurt by someone who was a leader or authority figure in our lives. We may fear the same thing happening again, become self-protective and close up.
3. Believing Your Ability to Hear from God is Infallible.
It is a mistake to believe that we are infallible in our ability to hear from God. The Bible teaches us to weigh up prophecy. (1 Cor 14:29, 1 Thess 5:19-21) Discernment is something that we mature in. (Heb 5:14)
When we are in the process of learning and growing in our gifts, portraying an insight as being a definite word from God (without the openness to having it weighed up) can prevent honest feedback. Others will perceive that we are closed to any other viewpoint.
The Power of Spiritual Oversight
Leadership is not a ceiling on your gift. Leadership is what breaks open the ceiling over your gift.
If I had not found my way over these three hurdles, I would not be where I am today—thriving in prophetic ministry under the leadership of Prophet David McCracken, being on a fivefold ministry team and helping many others through Enliven Blog.
Today I would like to share a significant part of my journey with you—written about in ‘Prophetic People in a Changing Church’. During this period of time, I had a lot of things that were hindering my ability to be teachable, dealt with by my Heavenly Father. These included hurt, misunderstanding, spiritual pride, a religious spirit and a great deal of discouragement.
If the obstacles facing you today in regards to being released in your ministry loom large, take heart from my story. Nothing is impossible for our God.
Prophetic People in a Changing Church—2nd Edition
Now with Foreword and additional chapter for pastors and senior ministry leaders by David McCracken.
- Have changes in church life impacted upon your personal priorities, relationships and ministry dreams?
- Are you, or others around you, experiencing discouragement, or have you been hurt in church life?
- Are you wondering how your prophetic or prayer gifts can be used in your current church setting?
- Or—are you a ministry leader who would like keys to lead a prophetic community, foster unity and help prevent division?
‘Prophetic People in a Changing Church’ is my personal ‘true confessions’ story of hurt, failure and restoration in prophetic and prayer ministry. This book is not only a powerful testimony—‘Prophetic People in a Changing Church’ explores how you can:
- Explore the unique challenges facing people with prophetic gifts in churches today
- Learn how to escape the battles of the mind and heart that discouragement in church life can bring
- Use prophetic and intercessory prayer gifts in the current church environment
- Discover the causes of division in the church and how to avoid them—including discouragement, spiritual pride, hurts, criticism and the religious and Jezebellic spirit
‘Prophetic People in a Changing Church’ contains my personal story and is the book that launched the ministry of Enliven Blog. It will provide you with keys to transformation and personal renewal in your church and ministry life.
For more information, and to purchase ‘Prophetic People in a Changing Church’ visit our online store here.
Note: All transactions are secure using PayPal and we do not pass your information on to third parties. Prices are listed in Australian dollars – our store will convert to your currency.
© 2016 Helen Calder Enliven Blog – Prophetic Teaching
On team with David McCracken Ministries: Prophetic Ministry That Empowers The Church
Did you receive this from a friend? Read more from Enliven Blog or sign to receive our weekly prophetic teaching updates at http://enlivenpublishing.com/blog