Have you ever wondered what the difference between the gift and ministry of a seer, and a gift of discernment is?
This is a great question—because many discerners are gifted visually and see a lot in the spiritual realm. And many seers are encountering things they recognise are demonic—so there can be some cross-over in the manifestations and experiences of the two gifts.
I’ve answered this in depth in the Enliven Prophetic School this week, but following is a brief summary:
The Seer Gift and Ministry
When we use the term ‘Seer’ we are describing one type, or strand of the prophetic gift and ministry. 
We are describing those who have prophetic gifts and ministries, or who are prophets, who operate primarily in the realm of seeing—that is, in visions, pictures and visual impressions, and even dreams, from the Holy Spirit.
The key points we need to remember about the seer gift and ministry are:
1. It is a prophetic gift and ministry (1 Sam 9:19)
2. Being prophetic, the primary focus is on seeing God’s intended purpose
3. Throughout the Bible, seers were given visions from God concerning the past, present and future, they saw symbolic pictures and visions that were prophetic in nature, they had Heavenly encounters and were enabled by the Holy Spirit to see in the spiritual realm for God’s purpose in that moment.
The Discernment Gift
Our definition for the gift of discernment comes from Paul’s letter to the church in Corinth, where he says,
‘But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all: …to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits…But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills.’ (1 Cor 12:7-11, NKJV)
The spiritual gift of discernment is the Holy Spirit-given ability to perceive whether an atmosphere, word or action is sourced in God, a person or something demonic.
The key points about the discernment gift are:
1. Its primary focus is on distinguishing the source of something.
2. Whilst some discerners do operate in the realm of sight (visions, visual impressions and pictures from the Spirit) many discern in other ways, including a ‘knowing’ (recognition) by the Spirit, feeling, sensing atmospheres and even physical responses
A Different Focus
So, to sum up, the seer gift and ministry and the discernment gift have different purposes and a different focus.
- The seer gift is a prophetic gift and its main focus is on seeing and declaring God’s intended outcome
- The focus of the discernment gift is to perceive the source of something
Note that Paul identifies the gift of prophecy and the gift of discernment separately in his list of gifts of the Spirit—they are not one and the same. And one is not more important than the other. They’re both needed.
Having said that, there is very good reason for those who operate in one or other of these primarily to see their need for the other:
- Someone who operates in the seer gift of prophetic ministry needs discernment, to help weigh up whether or not a vision, encounter or visionary experience is of the Holy Spirit.
- Likewise, someone who has a gift of discernment needs the encouragement and perspective that the prophetic ministry and gift brings. When we perceive the enemy at work, for example, the prophetic gift sees past what is currently going on, to God’s intended outcome. And that is a game-changer!
So, whichever gift you identify most with, pray to be strengthened in the other. And always ensure that you have those with complementary gifts of prophecy wisdom, leadership and so on, around your life to bring the balance and complete your gift and ministry.
Being in community and having team, a spiritual family, a church body around you, and leadership oversight is the most important thing you can do, to stay on track, reach your fullest potential and honour God in your gift and calling.
We were never meant to journey alone.
Gifted as both Seer and Discerner
It is certainly possible to be gifted strongly in both ministries. Seers of the Old Testament were also discerners.
My own story is that I had a gift and ability to discern from a very young age. But while growing in the gift of discernment, the primary calling on my life was ultimately to prophetic ministry, where I operate mainly as a seer. So, whilst I personally identify with both ministries, I’ve learned not to take either of them for granted.
Both gifts need sharpening, both are significant, and each one shines at different times, depending on the need and what Father is doing.
 See my Biblical references here: 8 Ways to Grow in Prophetic Visions and Pictures
Enliven Prophetic School: Seer Master Class
This week, I’m thrilled to let you know that after a few months hard work, the Enliven Prophetic School is now open!
This school is for anyone who would like to learn and grow in the gift and ministry of prophecy and includes classes for discerners as well.
Modules currently include:
- Foundations of prophetic ministry
- How to hear God’s voice, begin and grow in prophecy
- The Seer gift: how to grow in pictures and visions
- Discernment and prophetic warnings: how to respond and share a prophetic warning
This is the best mentoring I can give, all rolled into one place! You can currently join the school for as little as $6.95 USD (monthly subscription) or make a single payment to join with no end date.
I will be adding more master classes regularly. Visit the Enliven Prophetic School here.
© Helen Calder Enliven Blog – Prophetic Teaching
A part of the David McCracken Ministries family